Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   Booting Problem, Possible Solution? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/12214-booting-problem-possible-solution.html)

ImmaPC November 25, 2008 11:02 PM

Booting Problem, Possible Solution?

The other day I turned on my computer after sticking in a bunch of new components I bought as an upgrade (Diamond HD 4850 512, Quad Silencer 750, 4GB Mushkin Ascent DDR2-800), double-checked everything, turned it on and it worked the first time. I used my computer for a bit and it performed very well.

The next day I go to turn it on and it takes forever to POST, and then when it finally does I get error messages like "SYSTEM BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER," "Error loading operating system, press ESC to reboot," etc. I thought that something may be faulty with the HD so unplugged it, took an old 80GB SATA drive, plugged it in, and it worked

Two days later I go to use my computer and neither drives work. I swapped SATA ports, swapped components (took out 4850, took out RAM, used old PSU) and it would occasionally boot, but never twice in a row.

So now I'm thinking there's a problem with the SATA ports on my MB, and for what reason I don't know why. I don't want to drop another $100+ on an LGA775 board that will be obsolete within two years, and I don't want to "bite the bullet" and get a Nehalem machine.

The solution I'm considering is to get a good $30 or $40 SATA controller card, and then hook up my HD to see it it works. I don't have many other options, and I need some input on my solution? If it is a good one, does anyone have any SATA cards to reccommend? Would a SATA controller card solve my problems??? :sad:

enaberif November 25, 2008 11:09 PM

Well your board is older and is a 680i chipset board which guess what.. were plagued with SATA issues :)

775 is not going to be obsolete in a couple years.. heck people are still buying stuff for 478 boards

Matty D November 26, 2008 08:18 AM

Just to clarify, did you remove everything that was new (reverting to your previously working system) and try again?

The only thing I can think is perhaps the PSU is over tasked now and causing some issues?

Chilly November 26, 2008 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matty D (Post 117758)
Just to clarify, did you remove everything that was new (reverting to your previously working system) and try again?

The only thing I can think is perhaps the PSU is over tasked now and causing some issues?

His PSU is fine, hes stuck on a 680i which is/was plagued with problems, SATA being one of the major ones. I'd say get the latest BIOS and flash it. If that doesn't work, a good SATA card should work/resolve your current issues. That being said, I say ditch the 680i board, put the money you'd use on a SATA card and get something based on P35/45/X38/P45.

I agree with enaberif, S775 isn't going anywhere soon, hell you should see the prices of what most S939 things still go for, USED! Try updating the BIOS and let us know what you else you tried. If you decide to go with a new S775 board, just list a few of your needs(do you want ability to CF or not, budget, etc) and we'll recommend some good boards that suit your needs.

ImmaPC November 26, 2008 09:41 PM

So I updated my BIOS using E.Z. Flash to v.1301, and then tried to load up Windows. It got to the splash screen, and just stays there loading, forever, occasionally freezing. I tried to install Windows XP PRO SP2 and it didn't work. Then I tried just Windows XP PRO (No service packs!) and it worked, but it still either loads only every other boot, and when it does load it loads FOREVER, occasionally freezing.

I think, since my eyes are open to S775 boards staying around awhile, I ought just get a new board. My P5N-E SLI is aging, anyway. Anyone have a good suggestion for a board? I'd like S775 of course, with 8GB of RAM, and Crossfire DEFINITELY. It can be up to $230, but I'd like if I can get it for around $150 - $170, a good budget board. OCing isn't a major issue, if it overclocks just O.K, then thats fine by me.

I'll be searching high and low the next few days, but if anyone has any good suggestions they are always welcome :)

Should I re-post this in Motherboards section?

EDIT: BTW I tested the board out again with the new BIOS by swapping out different combinations for parts, like taking out 4850 putting in 8600GT, taking out 4GB ram, putting in 2GB, etc. I even did combinations of parts! Unfortunately, no dice :sad:

Infiniti November 26, 2008 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImmaPC (Post 118175)
I think, since my eyes are open to S775 boards staying around awhile, I ought just get a new board. My P5N-E SLI is aging, anyway. Anyone have a good suggestion for a board? I'd like S775 of course, with 8GB of RAM, and Crossfire DEFINITELY. It can be up to $230, but I'd like if I can get it for around $150 - $170, a good budget board. OCing isn't a major issue, if it overclocks just O.K, then thats fine by me.

P5Q Pro/E?

NCIX.com - Buy ASUS P5Q Pro ATX LGA775 P45 DDR2 2PCI-E16 CrossFire 3PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 Sound GBLAN eSATA Motherboard - P5Q Pro In Canada.

NCIX.com - Buy ASUS P5Q-E ATX LGA775 P45 DDR2 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 Sound GBLAN eSATA 1394 Motherboard - P5Q-E In Canada.

SugarJ November 26, 2008 10:02 PM

Asus P5Q Pro, Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R, Biostar Tpower I45. All on the lower end of your price range.

Brewer265 has a "BNIB" P5Q Pro for $135 shipped in this thread:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...her-stuff.html

Chilly November 27, 2008 04:08 AM

I double this suggestion, I'd lean my recommendation towards the P5Q-E! That being said if you don't mind buying used take a look around the FS fourm. Always great deals to be had like SugarJ mentioned above, $135 for a P5Q-Pro is a steal!

ImmaPC November 27, 2008 08:35 PM

Ah, thank-you guys! I'm kinda if-y about buying used, (since I've had problems with it before) but I'd like to express my gratitude for all your input!