Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 23, 2008, 04:44 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default I officially love Acronis now...

So I decided to have my Raptors (2x150GB) RAID 0, and of course I need to back things up in case of a failure of one of the drives. My partitions on my array are 80GB for my OS/Games etc and the remainder for movies, music, and what-have-you. The information on my storage partition is permanently backed up on a separate drive, but I decided to go with Acronis to image my OS drive for quick and easy recovery.

I get that quite a few people will just back up and leave it at that hoping not to use it...but I decided to actually test it. Imaged C:/ and then proceeded to delete my array and recreate it LOL. Of course, I did have sweaty palms at first, but the boot media on my flash drive quickly loaded their recovery software and 31 minutes later I was booting into Windows, exactly as everything was set up and installed 40 minutes before.

Crazy way to test probably but hey, I now 100% know that it works, and I'm glad it does ;) Reinstalling ALL my programs sucks, so this is such a ridiculously quick solution I love it to pieces.
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old November 23, 2008, 04:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

I've been using Acronis products for the last 2 years and they have really made a mark for themselves in the market.
Old November 23, 2008, 04:53 PM

My System Specs

I tried using True Image Home a few years back and it was unbelievable slow to recover. I tried using both compressed and uncompressed and to recover a 10GB image it would take nearly an hour. And this is from an internal HDD. I don't know if they corrected it since. But I've found ghost significantly faster.
Old November 23, 2008, 04:59 PM
Allstar
F@H

They must have made some changes, my 80GB partition took around 30 minutes. Of course the timer that counts down as it is working is completely useless, initially it said 4 hours and just kept adjusting itself as it went along LOL
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old November 23, 2008, 08:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

Nice! I just got myself this program to partition my HDDs. So far, i love it.

Could you post detailed pics or so to show how you managed to create an image ? I'm a total noob when it comes to this. Or if you have a link to a thread or so that will explain how to do it into Acronis?

Thanks!
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
- Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
- Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
- CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14
Old November 23, 2008, 08:13 PM
Top Prospect

Back in the P4 days I used acronis to copy my hard drive. After a few tries I got clean image of my acer drive onto another drive and it worked in the machine. The only part that failed to work was norton. The drive had the whole xp recovery files too since it was an acer. I know illegal, but I needed a copy for a computer tinkering guest and it gave me piece of mind knowing my only driver with games and pictures was okay. At the time it was the only program that made a separate bootable and functioning image of my drive.
Old November 23, 2008, 08:37 PM
Allstar
F@H

All I need to do is start Acronis, click on the back up tab, and click my computer. The back up wizard will open and let you select the partitions you want, and where to place the backup. Even has a nice handy scheduling feature in there that lets it be automated when you won't be using your computer. A constantly up to date backup :)

Feel free to make fun, I used my l337 photoshop skillz ;)

EDIT - I also forgot to mention that you must make sure to create a bootable recovery image. It's easy to find in the tools menu, and you can use CD's, flash drives, etc. That lets you boot your computer onto a working version of Acronis, and use the full program to restore the image. It's rather easy to learn it all though just poking around a bit.
Attached Images

-Author Unknown
Old November 23, 2008, 10:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

Thanks m8. I will look into it!
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
- Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
- Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
- CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14
Old November 23, 2008, 11:07 PM
Allstar
F@H

Always welcome :)
-Author Unknown
Old November 24, 2008, 01:49 PM
Trial Member

I'm a fan of Acronis products for 3 years )) It's really great software.
For those who are new to acronis there is a perfect user guide on their site.