Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 27, 2009, 10:09 AM

My System Specs

I tried Arconis again last night to backup my whole array. So I could move the partitions to a new array. The backup and verify of ~ 120GB took 2 hours which is fine. BUT i go to restore it today, and it says it says it completes the restore in about 10 seconds. Yet nothing is on the discs. If i lost my backup, I'll be quite depressed. Reinstalling windows currently and can hopefully restore it after that.
Old January 27, 2009, 12:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Been using acronis for a few years now. The way my kids used to treat my systems, I had to. Now, after I have a fresh install with everything the way I like it, I image it and tuck it away on my storage drive. With three desktops and two laptops to keep track of, it is cheap insurance.
Old January 27, 2009, 12:45 PM

My System Specs

I am definitely not impressed. Since it wouldn't restore from the boot disk, I installed windows, then restored from there. But like I thought it would, it put the physical files but no settings, registry, etc. So none of my games are installed.
Old January 28, 2009, 10:03 AM
MVP

Ghosty type programs FTW!

I personally use Image for Windows due to the bootable restore disc with image (a la prebuilt computer) on it.

I hear Acronis Home 10 does it, but I'm not a huge fan of "Home" software. It's usually crippled for what I need it for.
Old January 28, 2009, 12:52 PM
Allstar

OK, you know the Dell laptops that will run a Ghost Restore by hitting Ctrl-F11 when they boot?
Here's how I made my own custom one on an Inspiron 600m... ( Most of the credit goes to Goodells Net thanks)

I formated the C partition and did a clean install from an XP Home disk to avoid all the Dell crap....

Obtain the ptedit.exe utility. If you have a Partition Magic CD, locate the file ptedit.exe on it, or else download an older version from ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/englis...ies/ptedit.zip
Copy the file to some place you will be able to run it from when booted to DOS, such as a floppy disk, CD, or USB flash drive.

( I used the Norton System Works cd and pressed “8”)

Bypass the Dell MBR. Boot to DOS, load a mouse driver, and run ptedit. Use ptedit to change the 'Type' code of the third partition from 'DB' to '0C'. (zero C) This will unhide the partition with the Ghost image on it..

Run Ghost to make an image on the newly visible drive in the IMG folder… (Use Ghost 2003 for computers older than 2006)
Call the ghost image “FI” without the quotes and do NOT use a file extension

Make a DSRFIX boot cd

http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/files/dsrfix.zip

Have a read of the .pdf file that's in the zip file to see what it does..

Boot from the cd and run DSRFIX /f to repair the dell restore mbr...

Inside the Dell PC Restore Partition