Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 24, 2008, 12:55 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I use it too, after losing alot of a review that was on my desktop when I corrupted windows I definitely learned my lesson.
Old November 24, 2008, 05:18 PM
Allstar
F@H

I never really noticed how much I just plain hate reinstalling all my software until I got this.
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old November 24, 2008, 09:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It wasn't so bad when their wasn't as many updates for windows and games weren't 6Gbs big and didn't have 3 1Gb patches to install after, but after re-installing everything time after time I finally broke down and bought an external drive to house all my important files, games, and the girlfriends music. Also I recently got Acronis to and after reading what you have posted here neolithium I think I will do the same it just sounds too easy and a few minutes of backup can save me the headache of re-installing it all and I can totally relate how much we hate it.

Thanks for being the guinea pig and taking a bit of risk for us all here, glad it worked out for you.

EE
Old November 25, 2008, 09:28 AM
Allstar
F@H

Hey that's what I'm here for, crazy experiments and whatnot ;) I figure that now I'm pretty close to 100% happy with everything since my RAID array's data is safe, I'm scheduled and don't need to think about manually backing things up - though I do still check to verify that it was done on time. The best part is- and this should mean a lot, it's actually software I was willing to PAY FOR! ;)
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old December 30, 2008, 05:22 PM
MVP

lowfat, i was running into that when i was beta testing software. it would take an hour or more to restore some of my images. it was ridiculous.

finally i found that if i unchecked the "verify image" and "check file system" boxes it went way faster. i was told by acronis that these 2 options will take quite a long time. they said one of them will actually go ver the entire destination disk.

also everyone here should know that seagate distributes a free version of this software that works the same. it looks so much like acronis and it says it is powered by acronis and its FREE.

of course i imagine they intend that it is only to be used for seagate disks, but i wont tell.

cheers

rob123
Old January 26, 2009, 02:23 PM
Rookie

Hopefully you don't mind if I post my question in this thread... but here it goes:

A) Can I create backup images of my drive/partitions with fresh programs & OS's installed?

Here's my scenario:
One HDD with 2 partitions (Vista-64 on one, WinXP on the other partition)
I have both OS's installed (installed ALL online updates and installed drivers), and am about to install all my production software (Adobe CS3, Sony Vegas, Etc..) but have not yet installed them.

I have Acronis.

B) Any recomendations on if I should do a backup image before installing all my production software? Or if I should install all of it, and then create a backup image?

I'm new to this, and wasn't sure if the production software would even work if I restored the image?

C) I imagine I'd be able to create a disc image of each partition? (or would it create a disc image of the entire HDD, which includes both partitions?)'
would my "dual boot" effect anything?

Thanks,

jG
Old January 26, 2009, 06:53 PM
Allstar

Acronis has saved my bacon a number of times ( I just can't leave well enuff alone ).
Old January 27, 2009, 06:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I use acronis as well love it to bits. Also i have used nero back it up which also works pretty good but is really really slow.

Old January 27, 2009, 06:54 AM
Allstar

Nero "back it up" is good for burning docs and pictures to disc... If you have say 30g of pics you tell back it up to burn em to dvd or cd with no compression and you have backups that you don't need 3rd party software to restore. It'll keep filling the discs and tell you when you need to put a new one in.
Old January 27, 2009, 07:18 AM
Allstar
F@H

Problem I had with Nero was that it didn't recognize my raid drives on restore, but it would back them up though.
The result is its useless if you have raid, otherwise its great and I use it for everything else.