Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   How can I make a HDD fail? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/12108-how-can-i-make-hdd-fail.html)

klaiboi November 22, 2008 08:59 PM

How can I make a HDD fail?

not exactley as it sounds....

I got a 500GB HDD, my first seagate...

and on system start up it clicks like mad and grinds a little bit.... also happens whenever it is forced to seek...

I ran the HDtune test and it found 0 bad sectors....

if this HDD is going to fail I want it to fail within my 30 day warranty with NCIX so I get a new one and not a refurb

any ideas on how I can force it to fail?

death_hawk November 22, 2008 09:40 PM

Actually, RMAing a HDD to NCIX also results in a refurb.
I found that out first hand by RMAing a WD.

EDIT: As for making it fail, Kloostec ran Bonnie++ on his 1.5TB Seagates.

klaiboi November 22, 2008 09:45 PM

really? I thought that if you RMA'd something to NCIX you would get a new one regardless of item...

and since if the item is defective NCIX will wave the 15% restocking fee couldnt you just "return" and rebuy the drive?...though I'd have to pay shipping again which would suck for just 1 HDD

seems like I'll have to talk to my rep

thanks DH

enaberif November 22, 2008 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by death_hawk (Post 116463)
Actually, RMAing a HDD to NCIX also results in a refurb.
I found that out first hand by RMAing a WD.

EDIT: As for making it fail, Kloostec ran Bonnie++ on his 1.5TB Seagates.

RMA a drive to ncix and you should get a new drive not a refurb. If you get a refurb you got ripped off.

Linus November 22, 2008 11:54 PM

Not always true. Sometimes we get refurb drives back from the manufacturer, sometimes we get new ones. It'll depend what we get.

enaberif November 23, 2008 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linus@ncix.com (Post 116488)
Not always true. Sometimes we get refurb drives back from the manufacturer, sometimes we get new ones. It'll depend what we get.

Thats not very re-assuring. I was under the assumption any drive bought was "new" not a possible refurb.

DK2 November 23, 2008 05:23 AM

wrap it in packing to prevent external damage, and throw it off the roof a few times!
dunno if it would work, but it would be fun!

sswilson November 23, 2008 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klaiboi (Post 116452)
not exactley as it sounds....

I got a 500GB HDD, my first seagate...

and on system start up it clicks like mad and grinds a little bit.... also happens whenever it is forced to seek...

I ran the HDtune test and it found 0 bad sectors....

if this HDD is going to fail I want it to fail within my 30 day warranty with NCIX so I get a new one and not a refurb

any ideas on how I can force it to fail?

If it's clicking and grinding, send in a ticket or get them to call you. I'd be asking for an RMA based solely on that without waiting for a bad sector.

kirk_d November 23, 2008 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Try this:haha:

bushwhacker November 24, 2008 07:12 AM

I agree with sswilson. Online RMA w. Seagate doesn't even ask for a reason. I've also called Seagate once I found the Canadian RMA is sent to a UPS depot in Mississauga. As I didn't have time for a long drawn out turnover (UPS sucks) they provided ADVANCE shipping of the new drive (no credit card req'd) and I received an email from UPS w. a return shipping label - PREPAID by Seagate. When the new drive arrived within 4-5 days, I opened box - took out new drive - dropped in RMA drive and handed box w. label back to driver. Done - best RMA experience I've ever had!

Putting NCIX in the middle is only going to take longer and open the door to more possible screwups. Deal direct IMO.