Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 21, 2008, 06:15 PM
Top Prospect

Default I VANTZ ZEE BLU RAY WRITERZ...that is all.

So...looking for an all in one solution to DVDs, CDs, and Blu-ray, now that Blu-ray is an accepted media format. I was looking at the >$300 LIteOn Triple Burner at NCIX. What I like about it is that there aren't and flashy graphics...everything looks low key, and has that matte black plastic finish (blends in perfectly with my SOLO). Anyone have one here? What are your opinions?

Thanks, Brendan
Old November 21, 2008, 06:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

Not worth it.

Cost of media vs storage space is astronomical.

Blue Ray writers aren't worth it at this time yet.
Old December 10, 2008, 01:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Not worth it.

Cost of media vs storage space is astronomical.

Blue Ray writers aren't worth it at this time yet.
No kidding, last time I looked approx. $25 for 1 Blueray Disc!!!! This is a really odd one and I really wonder what if anything wil be able to drive the price of a Blueray Blank disc down, seeing as how Sony, is the Company and they'll ensure that no one is going to "back-up" their Blueray movies...at a small cost!

Old December 10, 2008, 02:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

$25 was the price for DVDs one time. The reason why the price hasn't gone down fast is because people don't like change. But now that the analog era is over, I think that people are going to commit to upgrading everything they can to adopt the latest technology.
Old December 10, 2008, 02:36 PM
Allstar
F@H

I wonder how long it takes to burn a 50G data disk anyways. overnight? :)
Old December 10, 2008, 02:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
he reason why the price hasn't gone down fast is because people don't like change.
I believe thier is a lot more behind that than this, here's my reasoning behind the high price of Blueray:
1. Sony owned
2. Sony also is the major player with re: to Blueray movie production. (or however you want to word it)
3, Sony also provides all the latest n greatest Copywrite Protection coding incorporated into their productions.
4. Sony now has no competition.
5. Sony Copywrite Protection on DVD's is a joke, folks have had no issues "backing-up" thier purchased DVD's, no matter how advanced the Protection is.
6. By keeping the cost of Blueray Discs at close to cost of Blueray movies....problem solved, no one will be backing up thier personal Blueray collection, not at those kind of prices.

Personally, I cannot remember when blank DVD's were that expensive.
My 2 cents worth.

Old December 10, 2008, 02:48 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2 View Post
I wonder how long it takes to burn a 50G data disk anyways. overnight? :)
Tired and going home so Iíll answer my own ?
Quick search says, approx. 45 minutes to burn 20G, twice that for dual layer.
Old December 10, 2008, 09:43 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
I believe thier is a lot more behind that than this, here's my reasoning behind the high price of Blueray:
1. Sony owned
2. Sony also is the major player with re: to Blueray movie production. (or however you want to word it)
3, Sony also provides all the latest n greatest Copywrite Protection coding incorporated into their productions.
4. Sony now has no competition.
5. Sony Copywrite Protection on DVD's is a joke, folks have had no issues "backing-up" thier purchased DVD's, no matter how advanced the Protection is.
6. By keeping the cost of Blueray Discs at close to cost of Blueray movies....problem solved, no one will be backing up thier personal Blueray collection, not at those kind of prices.

Personally, I cannot remember when blank DVD's were that expensive.
My 2 cents worth.
Agreed, Sony will not allow thee price of the media to go too far below a Blue-Ray movie. It would have been nice if they could have kept HD-DVD just for the PC market as a backup solution. But without movie sales helping that format the price of the media would probably still be expensive.