Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 20, 2008, 10:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Its not that the speeds aren't good they are pretty good I'm more looking at the read and the major drops.. thats what I'm looking at.
The drive with the major drops is his currently in use OS drive, hence my comment about it not looking bad considering that fact . I've seen similar results/drops when the test/bench is run on same drive as the active OS. If the OS needs or tries to access the HD at the same time as the bench app does, it may cause some performance drops/issues to appear where none exist.

That being said I'm gonna shut down this PC, throw the raptor in and do some speed tests.

Last edited by Chilly; November 20, 2008 at 10:36 PM.
Old November 20, 2008, 10:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
The drive with the major drops is his currently in use OS drive, hence my comment about it not looking bad considering that fact. The test with the drops was done on the same drive/os the app was being run on, ehich if the OS needs or trys to access the HD at the same time as the app is, it may cause some issues . I'm gonna shut down this PC, throw the raptor in and some speed tests on it.
Yah makes sense which means if it was a bare drive it would be performing as it should be.
Old November 20, 2008, 11:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

And

Long Bench (32MB Zones)
Old November 20, 2008, 11:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yah your speeds are the same.. just doesn't have the huge dips.. but the arch is about the same so.. I'd say his raptor is working fine.
Old November 20, 2008, 11:22 PM
Banned
F@H

chilly is a wee bit faster...tiny, but for sure.
Old November 20, 2008, 11:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Yah your speeds are the same.. just doesn't have the huge dips.. but the arch is about the same so.. I'd say his raptor is working fine.
Wanna see huge dips? , DONE

Here's my server's OS drive(also a raptor, only a 36GB raptor thou) during regular/high usage (folding, serving files, torrents, etc), just for you.

HDTune

Long Bench (32MB Zones)

And trust me this drive is completely healthy.
Old November 21, 2008, 12:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

hahahah thats awesome.
Old November 21, 2008, 12:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

The 500GB gets a higher burst-speed due to being SATA3g, whereas the Raptors are SATA1.5g(only VelociRaptor is SATA3g). Your 500GB results match up well with mine(WD5000AAKS). Maybe a defrag of the RaptorX is in order...i run OS drives through HDTach and HDTune... and never get erratic results like your 1st one(RaptorX).
Old November 21, 2008, 01:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Tanker View Post
The 500GB gets a higher burst-speed due to being SATA3g, whereas the Raptors are SATA1.5g(only VelociRaptor is SATA3g). Your 500GB results match up well with mine(WD5000AAKS). Maybe a defrag of the RaptorX is in order...i run OS drives through HDTach and HDTune... and never get erratic results like your 1st one(RaptorX).
Again, it all depends on what the OS is doing, something as simple as Windows going to check WUS for updates, or touching the swap for a second, etc, etc, can mess up a bench, only way to be 100% sure would be to bench as a separate drive. ANY decent activity *can* disturb the test. Have you seen my live server bench above? I'm gonna say with 99.5% certainty that his main RaptorX is fine.

With that said, I'm sure a defrag or two wouldn't hurt.

Edit - Just for fun, I restarted my server and re-ran HDTune while it was unloaded (ie none of the usual services/applications I run on it)

HDTune Server ZERO LOAD/FRESH REBOOT

Even with a zero load I still get a dip or 2 simply from regular windows operations. That said, notice the HUGE difference from the above loaded result.

Last edited by Chilly; November 21, 2008 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Just for fun
Old November 21, 2008, 09:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

Wow! Thanks for all the replies guys!

Yeah, i also found that those drives are correctly working. I used to have 2 36GB Raptors in Raid 0 and i would get much better times. On my next build, i will be hooking my 2 Raptors 150 in Raid 0 but that brings another question...

So Imagine i build a Raid 0 set-up with those drives on my EVGA 680I SLI A1... Will i be able to partition this Raid 0 set-up in say like 2 150GB partitions? One will be used to Vista Ultimate X64 and the other for XP Pro 64bit.

Thanks guys!
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
- Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
- Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
- CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14