Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13, 2008, 07:36 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Strange result with HD tune and HDtech?

Hello,
Was looking around on HWC and noticed that other people HD tune and HDtech results have one major difference than mine, Burst Rate. My Burst Rate is in the thousands not hundreds of MBís, obviously something is wrong with this, may be some kind of cache tuned on. I thought this was some benchmark problem to do with Raid but I noticed others with raid getting proper readings. Also my CPU usage seems high, any idea's as to whats wrong.

I am running 2 Seagate 500GB 7200.10 drives flashed with new firmware in Raid 0 on onboard Intel controller ICH9R.

Old November 13, 2008, 04:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Its fine/normal, my friends raid array provides similar results, in his case hes using a *real* raid card, its just due to the cache settings. CPU usage is the only thing I'd be worried about, what CPU you running this on? Because your using "soft" raid, it rely's alot on your CPU(the controller does not do the work), so depending on your CPU power it may or may not be a cause for concern.
Old November 13, 2008, 05:26 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

E4400 2GHz @ 3GHz 9x333 getting a bit old, but still kicks 50% OC for over a year no problems. Will probably upgrade CPU in the New Year and give this one to my kid (once I get her a 775 board). Any way I going to run the test again because I realize benchmarks not showing how many cores it is using (I assume one) so going to run a CPU monitor in the background and see, if only one then that’s not too bad for software RAID is it?
Old November 13, 2008, 05:36 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Just did the test again, not too worried about CPU usage any more since before even starting HDtune I see Both cores jumping all over the place, Vista doing it's thing and I run quite a bit of stuff in background as well, should really shut down stuff before doing benchmarks.
Old November 13, 2008, 05:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDogZero View Post
Just did the test again, not too worried about CPU usage any more since before even starting HDtune I see Both cores jumping all over the place, Vista doing it's thing and I run quite a bit of stuff in background as well, should really shut down stuff before doing benchmarks.
Good to hear, yes very few people even here will be running hardware based raid solutions, most raid solutions you'll run into are software or driver(still "soft") based. Simply speaking *most* hardware based raid solutions start at $300++ (thou you can get decent dell server pulls on ebay for around $150-$250)

The friend I was speaking of is running a Dell Perc 5/i Controller with 5 750GB Samsung F1 drives in Raid 5 on his media server.