Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 6, 2008, 09:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Harddrive cloning question

Here's my situation,

I will be building my new intel system very shortly and to reduce my downtime and the headache of re-installing my operating system I want to know if its possible to clone my current raid array. I'd like to put it on a single drive and still be able to boot from it onto to the new system. I will be using a Seagate barracuda 7200.11 1Tb drive.
I have also consider dividing the drive into 2 seperate partitions 500Gb Windows XP and 500Gb for Windows Vista at later date. Any comments or helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

EE
Old November 6, 2008, 10:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hey Adam,

Backing up a system

I just did this a week ago, it worked perfectly except vista hated it and wouldn't boot but if you have more patience than I did both options might work for you.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old November 6, 2008, 10:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You see the things are a little more tricky in my case, because I am moving from an nForce chipset to an Intel chipset. I am concerned that this could be a potential conflict when I boot the system, well if it even gets that far. Its not huge deal I am going to give a try possibly this morning or later today, I'd simply do what you did and clone the drive. I will prepare a rough setup of my rig and plug it all in and hope for the best, although I have my doubts.

Thanks for the assist Cam,

EE
Old November 7, 2008, 10:00 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You will have issues changing chipsets without a reinstall. Vista doesn't allow it. You may be able to get around it by deleting the mobo drivers before you change systems. That's what I did, but it was a X48 to P45 migration. I can't say if it will work.
Old November 7, 2008, 10:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quick question. Is Ghosting different then Cloning. Can't he ghost the drive, and then extract it after switching mobos. But then after doing that Sugar said, uninstall all mobo drivers first.. Only issue is you can't uninstall chipset drivers, otherwise your RAID will stop working.

EE what boards are switching from and to.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old November 7, 2008, 10:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The M2N32-SLI Deluxe 590SLI to a Biostar T-Power I45. You guys are probably right this isn't going work, but heck its worth a try.
Old November 7, 2008, 12:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I successfully cloned the drive and I am now currently using the seagate 1Tb drive. This might be a common problem, but I was not able to use the sata1 connection on my m2n32SLI deluxe it wouldn't boot no matter what I tried. Is the sata1 connection reserved for raid configurations only? I don't even have a sata 1 listed in the bios.

On a side note the drive is pretty noisy I hear a distinct clicking noise every so often I certainly wasn't expecting that. A quick search on google and apparently I am not the only one, this is very common complaint. My seagate 500GB 7200.11 only does it when I power up the computer.

Just so there's no confusion I am still using my AMD setup and I am running WindowsXP MCE SP3 not windows Vista, yet.

Edit: Uploading a video to youtube as I speak, I will post a link if you're interested in listening to the drives operation.

YouTube - Seagate Barracuda 1Tb clicking noise

EE

Last edited by Eagle Eye; November 7, 2008 at 03:56 PM.