Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5, 2008, 08:16 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff View Post
The ka-chunk sound is from short little burst read/writes, and it is a normal operating sound. .... Maybe I need a better suspension like o-rings/silicone than a full enclosure.
Yeah. I've gotten used to it, just never really noticed it with other drives. In the end I bought some Stretch Magic @ Michaels crafts and suspended it from the drive cage so it's vibe free. Just have to be more careful when i move the case around now. Made a big difference in the seek noises.

Old November 6, 2008, 12:03 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

When I first saw this post I thought it was about external drive enclosures, donít have one donít need one. But I decided to have a look, lucky thing I did,
I got a pair of Seagate drives a while back and they are much louder than my old WD 250. But after reading the post and seeing what misterd said I remembered that my case has a suspension mechanism. I had the drives installed with the drive trays and silicone standoffs but was still getting a low volume low bass sound from them. So I just took out the trays, removed the drives and put them in to the elastic band suspension system, now most of the volume is gone and it no longer has that low bass sound. The only drawback is with the trays I can have 4 drives and with the suspension system only 3, Luckily I only had 3 drives in there.

This is not the best suspension system out there but it makes a world of difference, so if you can get something similar it will probably solve your problem.