Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 4, 2008, 12:35 AM
Top Prospect

Default why do you store your OS an a seperate hard drive?

I've noticed people who buy two hard drives, one dedicated for the OS and another for games/programs. why exactly do people do this?

PS, I don't feel like making another thread so I'll ask here. what are the PSU requirements for a 4870X2? would something like a Antec Truepower Trio or Coolermaster Extreme Power 650W be enough?
Old November 4, 2008, 12:42 AM
Allstar

A hard drive OS makes things faster for the applications. Plus backing up is easir, and of coz, if your around NT based pc's long enough, you will HAVE to rebuild the OS once or twice.

AS for power supply requirements, I think Antec has a power supply configuratir tool on their web site. For the 4870 x2, I would lok at 850 W.
Old November 4, 2008, 12:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

There is no real speed bonus.

Its just that if your hdd craps out with your OS you replace your OS and not losing any other data.
Old November 4, 2008, 04:24 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post

Its just that if your hdd craps out with your OS you replace your OS and not losing any other data.
Exactly, it has to do with data safety. Most of us will reinstall he OS a few times per year and that's where having 2 separate harddisks will help. I just have 1 HDD right now but with 2 partitions so it's doing the same purpose.

Proud to be [H]ard !
Old November 4, 2008, 06:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I use a separate partition, that way if the OS craps out (and it will) I can just format and start fresh. I haven't seen any proof yet (though maybe it exists?) that storing an OS on a drive shortens it's life expectancy so having two physical drives does nothing for data safety. For that you need a duplicate on a separate physical drive.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old November 4, 2008, 07:09 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

I keep both OS's and all programs on one drive. The other drive is my U.F.I. drive which I store generous amounts of crap on because I'm to lazy to burn everything onto DVD's and entirely to lazy to go looking for that DVD when I need a patch/driver/video/application.
Old November 4, 2008, 07:13 AM
Allstar

I believe that there is an advantage if you are running VMware.
You store the VM's on the extra hdd and they claim better performance.
Old November 4, 2008, 09:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff View Post
I use a separate partition, that way if the OS craps out (and it will) I can just format and start fresh. I haven't seen any proof yet (though maybe it exists?) that storing an OS on a drive shortens it's life expectancy so having two physical drives does nothing for data safety. For that you need a duplicate on a separate physical drive.
This.

I have 2 drives, 3 partitions, I have my os partitioned on the inside(or is it outside? I forget now) tracks of the 1st HD for fastest speed for the os, the 2nd partition is wherre all my data resides, and my 2nd drive (only 1 partition) is where I keep a back up of my most important data taken from the first drive, 2nd partition.
Old November 4, 2008, 01:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post

That's not quite true - If you install your applications and games on a seperate HDD - when your C drive craps out and you have to re-isntall your OS, you will have to re-install your applications and games over again - You will preserve your documents data however (word, excel, powerpoint, etc.) but since applications and games store data in the registry and applications use shared resources, DLLs and other files installed in windows system directories, so when your new OS is re-isntalled all this is lost.

I did that once, running 2 physical drives in one system but I got rid of that habit...... Unless you are doing non linear editing or very intensive I/O you really don't need 2 physical drives. What I do is buy 2 large HDDs in pairs, since they are cheap - I partition them and install my OS on the first partition and use the rest for installing applications and data - This makes it easier when comes the time to defrag your drive - and the other drive I use to to clone my 1st drive using acronis trueimage - if the drive craps out I have a clone ready to use that is a 1:1 copy of my HDD. Maybe with older PCs where RAM was limited and the swap file was used a lot, it was better to store it on a seperate HDD but now, swap will always get used no matter how much RAM, but with today's fast HDD, CPU and RAM on those drives, it's not a problem.

My configuration is as follows........2 x 500 GB Seagate 7200.11 32MB NCQ
Drive is partitioned as follows:

C is used for WIndows XP SP3
D is used fro VISTA
E (smaller partition) used for storing documents, project files, movie files, etc..

And the other hard drive is inside a USB2/SATA2/eSATA enclosure, and connected to my PC through the eSATA port, and is a 1:1 clone of my HDD, whenever I need to do backups......

With this config you will be able to also re-install your OS in its respective partition without affecting other partitions data - but apps/games that associate with common files, DLLs, system files will need to be re-installed.
Old November 4, 2008, 01:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

I said "no real" speed bonus. You may find a bit of speed increase but not enough to really warrant it.

Another good reason to keep your OS drive separate is because like myself I overclock a lot and push things a bit far and this can sometimes corrupt your windows installl.

So instead of having to worry about backing up .. i just nuke my windows and re-install. (This actually reminds me of something I need to setup on my desktop)