Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 23, 2008, 09:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Guess what I just ordered?

Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 7200RPM 32MB Dual Proc 3.5IN SATA Hard Drive OEM 5YR Mfg Warranty

mmm

Basically it's their 640GB two platter drive with dual heads and 32meg cache, i'm sure the cache will really rock!

p.s. it was 85.00 on ncix sale!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 23, 2008, 09:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do you have the original WD6400AAKS that you can use to compare some benchies?

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old October 23, 2008, 11:12 AM

My System Specs

I was actually disappointed these were on sale and not the WD6400AAKS. I already have three of the AAKS' and wanted another 3. Having 3 of each drive in a single RAID5 sure wouldn't make any sense to me.
Old October 23, 2008, 11:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ordered the same drive this morning :D

For the first time, NCIX shipped my order with UPS instead of Purolator. It better be at my house tomorrow morning like usual haha

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old October 23, 2008, 04:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
Do you have the original WD6400AAKS that you can use to compare some benchies?

I don't, but I have the WD 750gb Black version so I can at least run benchies comparing it to that one; i should notice a decent increase in performance hopefully.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 24, 2008, 08:31 AM
Allstar
F@H

I've read that the Black series drives are louder that the standard ones. Any chance you could give us a comparison (qualitative is good enough for me) between the Black drive and your regular caviar 320GB? I'll probably order one as one of my 160GB drives just bit the dust.
Old October 24, 2008, 03:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRox View Post
I've read that the Black series drives are louder that the standard ones. Any chance you could give us a comparison (qualitative is good enough for me) between the Black drive and your regular caviar 320GB? I'll probably order one as one of my 160GB drives just bit the dust.

They are louder, I can say that. During reads when they spin up; say loading a large file or a video game there is a bit louder noise coming off it; but it's not that bad.

I'm an audio engineer so the very first thing I did when I heard them was whip out my SPL metre; it didn't even register +1dB above the ambient SPL (Sound Pressure Level) of my room from before putting the drive in. I notice it more because my tower is on my desk; but it dosn't bother me at all; I rather enjoy the hum of my drives haha.

But there is an audible difference; usually during reads and not so much in writes.
Old October 24, 2008, 06:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

received mine today :D, currently formating. I second the fact that it seems to be louder compared to my other WD HDD

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old October 25, 2008, 03:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

I hope it runs great for you, but i have a feeling that the extra 16M cache won't help much..if any(maybe in Burst speeds). Not sure what the "dual-processor" will contribute.. i remember someone on here bought one when they first came out(probably was you ), but i didn't think the "dual-processor" made a noticable difference. At the very least, i would expect that it won't be worse than the AAKS....so it will be a great performer either way. GL
Old October 25, 2008, 07:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Tanker View Post
I hope it runs great for you, but i have a feeling that the extra 16M cache won't help much..if any(maybe in Burst speeds). Not sure what the "dual-processor" will contribute.. i remember someone on here bought one when they first came out(probably was you ), but i didn't think the "dual-processor" made a noticable difference. At the very least, i would expect that it won't be worse than the AAKS....so it will be a great performer either way. GL
Speed wise dual head dosn't do anything, but writing a giant file to the disk AND reading to it is great; they are awesome multitaskers.

I bought one when it came out and have since stuck some in my audio computer; they rock for printing large audio files but still being able to access the disk without any reduced speed etc