Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 23, 2008, 01:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
DarkStar, what application(s) are you using for SMART reporting? Perhaps I need
I use EVEREST Ultimate or speedfan. If you are using a USB enclosure, most SMART software cannot read SMART through enclosure because of the chipset used or the software not being compatible. For USB enclosure I use the Acomdata 701 series SATA2/IDE enclosure, it uses the JMicron chipset and the latest 4.50+ version of EVEREST supports it, so I get SMART info on my external enclosures now. You have to be very careful interpreting SMART especially on Seagates :)

For VISTA no smart reporting on any drive any software. It's ridiculous !
Old October 23, 2008, 01:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpuspeed View Post
looks like the burst rate issue (which to me is a SATA/150, no SATA/300 issue) is a problem with the 7200.11 core itself since it seems to be found across the 7200.11 range.
This whole SATA2 thing is a sham anyways, pure marketing - no current drive supports even near the alleged 300MB/s, but I was just curious as to why my 320GB Seagate 7200.10 does 145MB/s burst and my new 500GB 7200.11 does 90MB/s ! Even my old ATA100 did 115-121 :D
Old October 23, 2008, 02:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I never thought to try everest. Now that I have tried, it seems to report SMART info for the HDD in my enclosure too. :P It is an i-rocks IR-9410(S) with initio INIC 1610L. I know it is ugly and cheap but I needed the guts from an enclosure to use for light duty so looks and quality were not that important.
I do not know if the values are entirely correct. I am pretty sure this is the drive I got when I first built this rig.