Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18, 2008, 05:50 AM
MVP

Default acronis is the way to go

i am a beta tester and during the "season" i use acronis exclusively. as far as cloning hard drives it is in my opinion the greatest thing since sliced bread. someon here ven mentioned that it is free from seagate and western digital.

one thing though, it makes an image of the entire hard drive. you can either store this image on another hard drive in your system or put it on dvd's. it will span more than one dvd if your image is that big. it wont let you store the image on the same hard drive you are imaging ( for obvious reasons).

another little quirk i havent been able to figure my way past is as follows. if you make an image of say a 500gb hard drive and then install it on a bigger drive, it will partition the new larger drive into 2 parts. they will be the size of the imaged drive and whatever space is left over on your new drive.

you will need at least one blank dvd to make an acronis resuce disk. when you have your image all you have to do is boot to the recue disk , follow the instructions and you will have a disk that is exactly like your olfer one.

its ways better than ghost.and its go back file.

cheers

rob123
Old October 18, 2008, 06:16 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob123 View Post
i am a beta tester and during the "season" i use acronis exclusively. as far as cloning hard drives it is in my opinion the greatest thing since sliced bread. someon here ven mentioned that it is free from seagate and western digital.

one thing though, it makes an image of the entire hard drive. you can either store this image on another hard drive in your system or put it on dvd's. it will span more than one dvd if your image is that big. it wont let you store the image on the same hard drive you are imaging ( for obvious reasons).

another little quirk i havent been able to figure my way past is as follows. if you make an image of say a 500gb hard drive and then install it on a bigger drive, it will partition the new larger drive into 2 parts. they will be the size of the imaged drive and whatever space is left over on your new drive.

you will need at least one blank dvd to make an acronis resuce disk. when you have your image all you have to do is boot to the recue disk , follow the instructions and you will have a disk that is exactly like your olfer one.

its ways better than ghost.and its go back file.

cheers

rob123
When you clone a disk from a smaller to a bigger one, it will just make the partition bigger. I had a big cloning session to move 60 40GB hdd to 80GB hdd as preventive maintenance at work. Each time, it always extend the partition to take advantage of more room. This is with the free Seagate software (the 80GB batch are all Seagate in boxes of 25 drives).

Proud to be [H]ard !
Old October 18, 2008, 12:03 PM
Allstar

dd is nice too
Old October 18, 2008, 02:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob123 View Post

I'm under the impression you are not using the right method - Hard drives are cheap now, buy them in pairs and make a 1:1 backup - Use the CLONE method and not the image method as the image method stores a single - whereas the clone method makes a 1:1 copy of your HD including bootsector, partitions, everything - so that if your original drive crashes you can just pop in the cloned drive and it will boot and function the same ! I've been using Acronis for many backups and I can tell you the free version is not crippled. Now what if you say, copy a small hard drive to a bigger one ? An option will appear asking you what you want to do - you can either copy AS-IS, it will partition the bigger hard drive the SAME way, leaving the rest of the space as unallocated - OR you can partition proportionaly to the new size or manually. I have done a 1:1 clone of my 320GB seagate to my new 500GB seagate, and I was shocked that it was lightning fast - took a few minutes :D The only flaw with acronis is the fact that when you do a clone copy, ther eis no option to verify/compare bit for bit, so that's my only complaint.