Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   SCSI/SAS finally dead? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/10581-scsi-sas-finally-dead.html)

Dizz October 5, 2008 03:47 PM

SCSI/SAS finally dead?

Iíve never been blown-away with the transition from SCSI to SAS, fortunately because Iíve never had a SCSI drive fail Iíve also not had a requirement to seriously consider SAS. However the facts are that my SCSI drives are the only components left in my Workstations that produce any audible noise & it is from this perspective that I have been seeking to replace them but without sacrificing performance.

Anyway, today I finally found a logical replacement for my SCSI drives; the ioDrive! Hereís a review of their 80GB model.
Review of Fusion-IO ioDrive Solid State Disk Drive SSD

Assuming that nothing better comes along; Iíll be seeking to acquire one of their 320GB models within the next 12month. So what do you guys think?

Regards, Dizz

Cptn Vortex October 5, 2008 03:56 PM

I still wouldnt trust SSD in a server or data sensitive environment. SAS with hardware RAID card is still the only way to go.

Dizz October 5, 2008 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn Vortex (Post 96266)
I still wouldnt trust SSD in a server or data sensitive environment.

Yes, redundancy is a valid concern, my initial thoughts where to test the new ioDrive as an OS Drive with no redundancy, then as capacities increase perhaps use two in RAID 1 to replace our current Data Array.

Regards, Dizz

Cptn Vortex October 5, 2008 05:07 PM

1 thing is for sure, that drive looks FAST. I remember years back the Gigabyte iRAM. similar idea only it used RAM sticks.

MpG October 5, 2008 05:59 PM

Damn, that thing's a beast. Shame about the no-boot (for now) and mandatory 64-bit, but.

Makes you wonder what else is in the pipelines. The speeds of SSD's have been skyrocketing lately, FusionIO doesn't have any monopoly on this stuff, and there are big names that surely have the means to bring competing products to market. If there's money to be made, they'll surely do it.

matsta31 October 5, 2008 06:09 PM

That thing is just crazy.... Funny it will only be able to boot in the upcoming quarter. I guess for server this is not an issue.

This must be more than 1k $ ?

enaberif October 5, 2008 08:04 PM

SAS/SCSI will never die.

You simply cannot get hard drives as fast as a SCSI/SAS setup.

Seagate Cheetahs run at a whopping 15k rpm which is double that of a desktop drive.

Oversized Rooster October 6, 2008 09:07 AM

The closest thing I'd recommend is a Western Digital VelociRaptor hard drive. These 10000rpm SATA2 HDs are available in 150GB and 300GB capacities.

MpG October 6, 2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matsta31 (Post 96305)
This must be more than 1k $ ?

Frankly, I'll be amazed if this thing goes for under $10k at intro. For the performance and longevity it offers (1TB/day for 51 years:shok:), they can charge way more than a SCSI/SAS setup, which still isn't exactly cheap to begin with.

Dizz October 7, 2008 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MpG (Post 96527)
Frankly, I'll be amazed if this thing goes for under $10k at intro.

Yes youíre right if you want the 320GB model right now, you wonít get much change from $10K.

However, I read that the CEO of the Company declared that the 80GB Model would sell for under a $1,000 when they go retail. I canít remember where I read it but I think theyíre going retail in Q1 2009.

Therefore, I assume that the 320GB model would retail for no more than $3,500, remember the 320GB Model is based on MLC not SLC, however the rated performance is still incredibly stunning (Read/Write 700/500 vs 700/600). Who knows it might even debut as low as $2,500; if it does I wonít be waiting 12 months to get one, hereís hopping.:biggrin:

Regards, Dizz