Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 5, 2008, 05:50 PM
Trial Member

Angry Do NOT buy the WD6400AAKS !

Sorry for this late reply. I just found this thread.

If you haven't bought the WD yet, DON'T !!

I got the WD 640GB WD6400AAKS drive and I can tell you that it SUX !!

Here are the problems I encountered with it --

A. It runs extremely hot !

B. After 20 minutes after I switch on my PC, WD6400AAKS gets unresponsive. Reading files from it takes forever. Writing files to it ... I wish I can ! :rtfm:

C. There are times the BIOS has much problem detecting WD6400AAKS --- and my PC just boot without WD6400AAKS !

D. There are other times the BIOS detect the presence of WD6400AAKS but having difficulties loading it, so the boot screen stays at the "detecting hard drives" prompt, like forever.:rtfm:

E. I've tested copying files into WD6400AAKS --- while Windows will tell you everything is okay, the file that has just been copied into WD6400AAKS is corrupted ! I've even tried using the XXCOPY program, with that "xxcopy /v2" switch (byte to byte verified), and after that, I did a FC (file compare) with "fc /b" switch (byte to byte compare) comparing the two files ... much corruptions !!

Conclusion --- Get whatever drive you want, but NEVER EVER GET WD6400AAKS !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
I know the Seagate isn't as good and that's why I didn't really include it.

I hear Samsung Spinpoint's are pretty good though so I wanted to see if anybody had any comments on their 640GB one.

Judging by the Newegg comments, there seems to be a ton of DOA WD and Seagates but the Samsungs seem to be fine. Problem is though the WD has way more reviews than any of the others.
Old December 5, 2008, 10:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by penang View Post

B. After 20 minutes after I switch on my PC, WD6400AAKS gets unresponsive. Reading files from it takes forever. Writing files to it ... I wish I can ! :rtfm:

C. There are times the BIOS has much problem detecting WD6400AAKS --- and my PC just boot without WD6400AAKS !

D. There are other times the BIOS detect the presence of WD6400AAKS but having difficulties loading it, so the boot screen stays at the "detecting hard drives" prompt, like forever.:rtfm:

E. I've tested copying files into WD6400AAKS --- while Windows will tell you everything is okay, the file that has just been copied into WD6400AAKS is corrupted ! I've even tried using the XXCOPY program, with that "xxcopy /v2" switch (byte to byte verified), and after that, I did a FC (file compare) with "fc /b" switch (byte to byte compare) comparing the two files ... much corruptions !!

Sounds more like a BIOS problem... or the BIOS doesn't like your HDD. I've had my 6400AAKS since early June, and not so much as a problem. It's rocket-fast(for non-RAID and 7.2K), very very quiet, runs nice and cool. I just got my 6401AALS 4 days ago, and it's also fast/quiet/cool. You either got a dud, or your BIOS is the problem. Either way, i don't think a big disclaimer against buying one is fair, or warranted. Thanks for sharing your experience, though....you should try an RMA.
GL
Old December 6, 2008, 04:54 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

How is the WD6400AAKS hot? Mine is idle at 30C, has around 12.8MS seeks with AAM at 254 and never crashes my computer. Great HDD in fact.

Old December 6, 2008, 05:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by penang View Post

Western Digital drives are very well liked drives here on HWC, very popular, and I have not heard of any issue you posted. Either you got a defective drive (it happens) or your having a problem with your motherboard/sata controller (most likely).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwik View Post
How is the WD6400AAKS hot? Mine is idle at 30C, has around 12.8MS seeks with AAM at 254 and never crashes my computer. Great HDD in fact.
Same here, I have owned nothing BUT WD drives, never had one get hot, sounds like Mr. 1 post has either a DOA drive and hasn't bothered to RMA, or has a vendetta against WD and doesn't even own the drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Tanker View Post
Sounds more like a BIOS problem... or the BIOS doesn't like your HDD. I've had my 6400AAKS since early June, and not so much as a problem. It's rocket-fast(for non-RAID and 7.2K), very very quiet, runs nice and cool. I just got my 6401AALS 4 days ago, and it's also fast/quiet/cool. You either got a dud, or your BIOS is the problem. Either way, i don't think a big disclaimer against buying one is fair, or warranted. Thanks for sharing your experience, though....you should try an RMA.
GL
Agreed. DOA drive, or Motherboard SATA controller/BIOS issues.

Oh and I believe dragging/bumping up old posts for no reason is against the rules.