Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 12, 2008, 04:29 PM
MVP

Question odd storage problem.........

i have hard drives C,D,E,F,G,H,I,K,M AND N. just got the last of them installed. the inside of my case looks like someones nightmare at a wire factory.

anyway, the last 2 nights when i shut it down to work on it, then start it up the "N" drive is missing. i do a hard reset and there it is. just wondering if this may be a symptom of having too many drives.

thx for your time

rob123
Old September 12, 2008, 04:52 PM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Could be, but there is also a very good chance that that HDD is going to fail. I would recommend turning S.M.A.R.T. on and run a diagnostic on that drive just to be sure.

Also, I hope those drive letters are partitions and not 10 physical HDD's in there.
Old September 12, 2008, 04:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav View Post
Could be, but there is also a very good chance that that HDD is going to fail. I would recommend turning S.M.A.R.T. on and run a diagnostic on that drive just to be sure.

Also, I hope those drive letters are partitions and not 10 physical HDD's in there.
Knowing rob, those are physical drives.... and I can't imagine him having a HDD getting ready to fail.....

(Greets from the Hub of the Maritimes Rob!!! :) ).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 12, 2008, 05:03 PM
Allstar

Might be the drive or might be just a little bit too low available voltage or current at startup with everything drawing heavily at once.
Old September 12, 2008, 05:06 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

hub of the Maritimes... lol...

Check the connectors for the drive. Those SATA plugs are not very reliable and I have had problems with intermittent connections. With ten drives you are ten times more likely to have problems.

Are they all attached to the mainboard? (I do not remember seeing a mb with ten SATA ports.)
Old September 13, 2008, 04:35 AM
MVP

Default yep, 10 physical drives........

9 500's and a teeny 320 for the system drive. a real b!tch of a time getting them all in there too.

i have a pc power and cooling 750 watt ps with what i understand to be a very large single rail.

i have tried out many power supply calculators and they vary from reasonable to the point where i would have to have the power company hook up a direct line to the system.

he calculator called "extreme power supply calculator v2.5 gives me an estimate of 425 watts.

my motherboard has 8 hookups for sata drives. i have a promise controller for the other 3. the extra drive is the one dvd/rw that gets rare use.

i suspect that i may have a connector problem. if it were a power supply problem i think it would tend to screw with more than just the same drive . either that or i may have a drive that is going to calve on me.

yes, i know, as ss wilson said, its hard to believe.

all seagates btw
Old September 13, 2008, 04:54 AM
Allstar

MMM, I would have to say, not that being a NT admin before might have anything to say bout my inneptness, but, are you mapping em? And, do you ahve a mobo that can address em all? And, is your OS set to recognise them all? I think you better get a real Adapter card, and good luck getting one with that many channels.
Old September 13, 2008, 05:34 AM
MVP

Default no mapping here.......

id i understand it right, mapping is for sharing drives.

the OS ( win xp home ) sees all the drives just fine and has given them a letter as i presume a name.

i can transfer files between any of them at will.

btw: the adapter card sits in a pci slot and has 4 hook up points for sata drives. i have nearly always use one of these.
Old September 13, 2008, 05:53 AM
Allstar

Well, back in my NT days, there was a limitation to the number of 'logical' drives that it can address. I know your gonna hate this, but, you gotta go back to the NT 4.0 days and read up on it. That is where your probs are coming from. Alot of peeps are forgetting that from the XP days, the slogan was "Built On NT". And for Vista? "Built On NT"
Old September 13, 2008, 03:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer-[X] View Post
Well, back in my NT days, there was a limitation to the number of 'logical' drives that it can address. I know your gonna hate this, but, you gotta go back to the NT 4.0 days and read up on it. That is where your probs are coming from. Alot of peeps are forgetting that from the XP days, the slogan was "Built On NT". And for Vista? "Built On NT"
Trust me, thats not an issue, hasn't been since 2000 (2000 = NT5.0, XP = NT5.1, 2003 = NT5.2, Vista/2008 = NT6.0 just fyi), I administrator a server with 16 physical drives.

Oh and thats like saying since Ubuntu is built on Linux, that it can't support a GUI, since the orginal "good" version of pure linux had no support for a gui .