Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Site Announcements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 5, 2011, 01:44 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yeah or you could just use bristol board and a cardboard box. Similar to this. How to Make An Inexpensive Light Tent – DIY

You want “Daylight” bulbs, they look white instead of yellow. Cost $7-8 a pack.
Old April 5, 2011, 01:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Art supply stores also have large posterboard or sheets of white paper. I always had trouble with white balance, never really got it sorted out.
Old April 5, 2011, 02:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

SpyderCube - Datacolor - Global Leader in Color Management Solutions
For white balance.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old April 5, 2011, 02:21 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Honestly, professional photos isn't all that hard. For mine I use a well-lit room (skylight) along with a $2 sheet of 30" x 42" bristol board add +1 to the exposure on my P&S camera and then the adjust the white / grey balance in Photoshop. That's it...
Old April 6, 2011, 08:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would love to do reviews on mobos, but I know that it would require more work than I can commit to. My knowledge level of different components on the mobo are not that great and my writing skills are mediocre. Based on my personal opinion, I would not want to write reviews about features only. I would want to be writing about the components as well and picking out the little details that really show the difference between one product and the other (i.e. both boards can get to 4.0 Ghz, but only one board can do 220 bclk). I think I'd have to give up playing computer games to find the time to do reviews!

Well, I guess I should end my little story as it's not very productive towards the goal of the topic :P
Old April 6, 2011, 02:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Reviewers

I would love to review Intel components. I've been told my writing skills are pretty good.

Wrote a letter of thanks once to do with work only to have it posted 4 3 months where everyone could read it.

I have a good system, but like many others, not sure if I could cover all of the pluses and minuses when reviewing. I may still submit myself 4 a reviewer position, just not sure yet.

There are certainly many great reviews with which to model my own after.

Home all day long so time isn't a factor.

Good luck everyone!!!

Edit: Darn camera! I'll have to borrow my daughter's new 1 when she gets home to submit the rest of my app. Sending what I have now. Sorry Sky, pics forthcoming. A new camera will be the 1st thing if I'm lucky enough to be selected.

Last edited by fishingfanatic; April 6, 2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old April 10, 2011, 03:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Is HWC looking for editors as well?

-Plato
Old April 11, 2011, 06:09 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

This would be fun as [expletive], as i'm a pretty critical guy. Writing isn't natural to me, however I get by. The only reason I haven't submitted something is the time constraints. With a new baby and all, I couldn't commit to the time needed to do this.
Good luck to those who wish to endeavor in these positions.. and hope they know what they're getting into. :)

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old April 11, 2011, 01:45 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Congrats for the new one in the familly Rison....!!!

I'd love to be a ''tester'' and my english isn't great.....
• ► ›Server system
• ► › |I7 3820|Asus P9X79|12G G.Skill 1600Mhz|Noctua NH-D14|Corsair Force 3 120GB|LSI megaRAID 9261 8|RAID5 5X 3TB|Corsair AX650|Fractal Design Arc Midi|

• ► ›Twitch
Old April 18, 2011, 02:48 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Believe it or not, I use a 4 (or more) year old Canon S2IS for all my shots. A great camera isn't necessary; it's all about the lighting. I can take shots similar to those with a reasonably good pocket camera.

Honestly guys, if you think you have the chops for this or any position, don't let photography skills get in the way. There are ALWAYS ways around that.
I have an S3 IS and I absolutely love this camera. The Macro mode is great. I've even been able to get good pictures of tiny monitor pixels from this mode.

Which, if you ever need (a monitor or TV reviewer) I'd love the job, hint hint, nudge, nudge. There are a couple of examples out there of stuff I've done in the past.

Though I've read your TV reviews in the past and they've been quite good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
This would be fun as [expletive], as i'm a pretty critical guy. Writing isn't natural to me, however I get by. The only reason I haven't submitted something is the time constraints. With a new baby and all, I couldn't commit to the time needed to do this.
Good luck to those who wish to endeavor in these positions.. and hope they know what they're getting into. :)
Good luck Rison! We'll be talking on a peer basis in October

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Congrats for the new one in the familly Rison....!!!

I'd love to be a ''tester'' and my english isn't great.....
Your English is fine, but I'm sure your french is top notch.... HardwareCanucksFR.com FTW

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732