Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Site Announcements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 16, 2012, 10:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I volunteer to help in review-used component logistical distribution.
Old February 16, 2012, 10:26 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I'd love to give this a try for-sure, see if I get some ambition on my vacation to do something up.

However, what are the deadlines usually like, i.e. from when the reviewer gets the product to when they have to have the draft to the editor? Just curious as to the stresses it would add with having a full time job + parent...
Old February 16, 2012, 10:45 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick_brent View Post
I'd love to give this a try for-sure, see if I get some ambition on my vacation to do something up.

However, what are the deadlines usually like, i.e. from when the reviewer gets the product to when they have to have the draft to the editor? Just curious as to the stresses it would add with having a full time job + parent...

Usually its 30 days. I try for 2 weeks as that gives me LOTS of slack, but 30 days is a good "rule of thumb".

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 16, 2012, 11:08 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Just curious if there is a particular area that you guys are looking to cover?
Old February 16, 2012, 11:10 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Usually its 30 days. I try for 2 weeks as that gives me LOTS of slack, but 30 days is a good "rule of thumb".
30 days is awesome...i am assuming the other writers and staff would help a newbie get the hang of macro shots, perhaps some writing tips etc. I have a decent vocabulary and decent grammar (although i don't utilize it on forums, because..well, i'm lazy) and excellent knowledge of hardware. And already started working on photography.
Old February 16, 2012, 11:16 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
Just curious if there is a particular area that you guys are looking to cover?
Says in the article:

Quote:
Positions Open:

Notebooks & Desktop Systems

In this position the reviewer will be required to present and benchmark pre-made systems. This could include anything from a Dell laptop to net-tops to fully-fledged desktop systems. For examples of reviews and quality expectations, please CLICK HERE.

Motherboards

Some overclocking experience is a must along with knowledge of the various platforms and technologies. However, you don’t have to be a “ranked” overclocker or have access to high-end cooling products. AM3, LGA2011, LGA1155, etc. compatible hardware or a combination thereof is essential. A confirmed HWBot or CPU-Z validated link of an overclock you have achieved is suggested but not required. For examples of reviews and quality expectations, please CLICK HERE

Other Postitions

While the above-listed areas are what we are putting a focus upon for the time being, we’re always on the lookout for new writing talent and people who are just plain passionate about technology. If you think there’s a way you can contribute to HWC as an official staff member – be it by posting news, doing editorials, editing pre-release articles, becoming a writer in any of the fields we currently cover, etc.- then by all means, drop us a line. We’d love to hear from you!
Old February 16, 2012, 11:29 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick_brent View Post
30 days is awesome...i am assuming the other writers and staff would help a newbie get the hang of macro shots, perhaps some writing tips etc. I have a decent vocabulary and decent grammar (although i don't utilize it on forums, because..well, i'm lazy) and excellent knowledge of hardware. And already started working on photography.
That goes without saying. We all help each other out. All you need do is ASK as its more like joining an eclectic "family" than a group of associates if you know what I mean.

Photography is actually not as hard you think. The secret is LOTS OF LIGHTS (I use 20, 23watt 6500k CFLs...others use 5500, etc etc) and a cheap spydercube (60 bucks) to get correct color balance. No need for 5k of camera kit. I used a Cannon 3SiS for years. It will surprise you how fast your Photo & Photoshop-fu will ramp up to levels you never thought possible.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 16, 2012, 01:38 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I'm still (and always) game. Got a new dslr that I've already been trying macro shots with. Although the last time I was interested I felt summarily ignored, lol. Perhaps this tike will be different? Sky? Have you stopped "hating" me yet? ;)
Old February 16, 2012, 02:11 PM
Rookie

This sounds like a great opportunity! I would love to apply for a position as I feel that I do possess the necessary writing capabilities as well as the required bluntness when it comes to providing reviews and feedback. If HWC is looking for video reviews, my background is in stage and theater so I would be happy to contribute in that respect. Plus I just relocated to TO, so if I need to be on location for whatever reason, no problem. The only downside I can imagine is that I don't have nearly enough funds to purchase items in order to review them. But if you're willing to have me on the team, I would be honored. Thanks.

P.S. My colleague is an aspiring professional photographer, so needless to say, I have constant access to necessary photography equipment.
Old February 16, 2012, 02:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think HWC receives items from manufacturers to be reviewed.

-Plato