Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Site Announcements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 14, 2009, 07:42 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The Enermax Revolution 1050W will be the first review posted. That will be followed by the Corsair TX850 and HX850.
Old July 14, 2009, 07:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Those TX850 and HX850 PSUs would be great to have in a combined review because you could answer many questions based on modular vs. non-modular. Questions like "are modular cables bad for voltage drop?" and others could be answered.
Old July 14, 2009, 07:59 AM

Actually, you can't really answer that question that well due to the simple fact that from unit to unit in the same PSU series, there may be slight changes in voltage regulation and efficiency.
Old July 14, 2009, 08:17 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
Those TX850 and HX850 PSUs would be great to have in a combined review because you could answer many questions based on modular vs. non-modular. Questions like "are modular cables bad for voltage drop?" and others could be answered.

So long as the same gauge of cable is used, and the interface is wired properly you won't get any 'leakage' of a noticable level.
Modular vs Non is more of a convience issue than creating practical issues.
As far as I'm aware at least.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 14, 2009, 08:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Haha, now that I think of it, you're completely right. I forgot that the HX850 is fairly new and has quite good efficiency. It's also been debated for quite some time now too. Ugh...stuck in the old days...
Old July 14, 2009, 02:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

Seriously, just pop open the PSU and put DMM probe on each side of the modular interface - that'll be your extra voltage drop. But I really can't see it amounting to more than a fraction of a test's margin of error, let alone anything meaningful.

Don't worry, I'm sure PCP&C will rewrite their PSU myths in another year or two, and it'll suddenly be okay to use modular PSU's.
Old July 14, 2009, 03:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Seriously, just pop open the PSU and put DMM probe on each side of the modular interface - that'll be your extra voltage drop. But I really can't see it amounting to more than a fraction of a test's margin of error, let alone anything meaningful.

Don't worry, I'm sure PCP&C will rewrite their PSU myths in another year or two, and it'll suddenly be okay to use modular PSU's.
True, but the voltage can swing by a lot due to load. Remember that loses are proportional to the square of current, so from no load to full load, it could have serious effects if the conductor isn't up to spec because only god knows who manufactured the cables. The science gets really complicated when you have AC flowing through, i.e. on transmission lines and microprocessors, however we're trying to create DC power here.

It really doesn't make too much of a difference because I'm sure that the AVR in the PSU can tune to the required levels.
Old July 15, 2009, 05:23 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I am pleased to announce that after a long hiatus, power supply reviews will be returning to Hardware Canucks either this week or next.
Man, it's probably one of the best news this year. At least for me.
Kudos to you and HWC for bringing back one of my favorite PSU reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Max Load: For this test we use the single GPU setup running 3DMark06 Batch Render Test at 2560x1600 4xAA / 16xAF while running our custom Prime95 test on the CPU in the background. Once again, this is a 30 minute test.
May I suggest Furmark and LinX instead 3dmark and prime95? For me that's the worst scenario (unrealistic, I agree) and power draw (of course without a load-tester).
Old July 15, 2009, 05:46 AM

Believe it or not, I tested with Furmark and LinX and I got about 10-15% less power consumption than with my test. One of the reasons these reviews were put off for so long is that I tested EVERY combination of benching programs to find the highest power consumption.

I think the main issue is that Furmark needs CPU cycles to run and if the CPU is off running LinX, the GPUs get bottlenecked a bit. One the other hand, the 3DMark Batch Size test seems to use next to no CPU power when running at high res and high instances of AA.

Another interesting thing I logged was the fact that as Prime95 runs, power consumption gradually INCREASES.

Here are the results I got with the Extreme Load test. These were all peaks after 30 minutes with the Corsair HX1000:

LinX + FurMark: 1048W
LinX + 3DMark Batch: 1159W
Prime95 + Furmark: 1051W
Prime95 + 3DMark: 1166W

I couldn't believe it either but I went over the test again and agian with the same results.

To be honest with you though, the absolute highest load you can put on your GPU without worrying about the CPU getting in the way is the last benchmark 3DMark Vangate runs (I think it's Perlin Noise). Unfortunately, the way Vantage runs loops is a bit of a dog's breakfast with the benchmark reloading every time instead of being loaded from memory like 06 does. That means the load will not be applied in a linear fashion which is an issue for comparing efficiency and ripple.

Last edited by SKYMTL; July 15, 2009 at 05:53 AM.
Old July 15, 2009, 05:57 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yep, sounds logical, Linpack eats every CPU cycle.
I like PSU Test from OCCT but unfortunately it doesn't work with high end Crossfire. With SLI no problem, but no Crossfire.
I'm surprised somehow that prime+Furmark < prime+3dmark06.