Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Site Announcements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 19, 2008, 05:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
These sweepstakes are awesome! I think its rather funny that some people win with few posts, such is life. If I joined the forum only to win, I guess I would be upset. Furthermore, if we give people who run these forums grief over these draws I would worry that they would just stop doing them.
I am pretty sure that every time this site has held a sweepstake and the winner was drawn someone has said some comment about how they felt things weren't right.

To me that means things should be done possibly differently or changed.
Old November 19, 2008, 05:49 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Ok my math skillz may not be the greatest but WTF?
nicely said lol
Old November 19, 2008, 05:59 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Can we drop this plz. I was the one who made the remark and it turns out I was dead wrong. Just look at the post counts of past winners. They made it as fair as they could.
Old November 19, 2008, 08:21 PM
Allstar

I think the math problem comes in (using the posted winners list) that someone that has 315 posts (obviously a regular contributor to the forums), is at the same level as the current winner who only has 5 posts yet is apparently a long term member, though a very irregular contributor. It is that disparity that brings up questions.

That said, I agree we are lucky to have the sweepstakes at all.

Last edited by NyteOwl; November 19, 2008 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Fixed typos
Old November 19, 2008, 09:58 PM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
I think the math problem comes in (using the posted winners list) that someone that has 315 posts (obviously a regular contributor to the forums), is at the same level as the current winner who only has 5 posts yet is apparently a long term member, though a very irregular contributor. It is that disparity that brings up questions.
Ah, I see what you are getting at. My guess is it has to do with how long the person has been registered to the forum. It might be weighted too high as compared to the # of posts or threads created.

I havn't looked at the formula for a while and it's getting late so i'll look into it tomorrow and re-adjust the weighting if necessary.
Old November 19, 2008, 10:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav View Post
Ah, I see what you are getting at. My guess is it has to do with how long the person has been registered to the forum. It might be weighted too high as compared to the # of posts or threads created.

I havn't looked at the formula for a while and it's getting late so i'll look into it tomorrow and re-adjust the weighting if necessary.
Old November 20, 2008, 11:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
And its this thought that makes me feel that these sweepstakes are favored to those of lesser posts/points.
Actually someone was right on the money with his reasoning. If you have a forum with tons of new users, and all the amounts of new arrivals or low count posters exceed the total number of regulars at higher levels, guess who has more odds of winning ? You guessed it - the posters with the low counts....because it's a numbers game. Even if say, you had 50% low count posters vs. 50% higher count, the odds would be EQUAL for both. Now this is a theory - I am not aware of the exact number of low count posters vs. higher level ratio here, but if the ratio is much bigger for higher levels vs. lower levels, then the winners are winning by a long shot, even if odds are lower, they still can win - The same way when you buy a loto 6/49 ticket, your odds of winning are 13 million to 1, and you can win on only 1 ticket purchase - while someone who has purchased 500 tickets will win NOTHING -

The only way to fix this and place odds in favor of higher level members would be to limit sweeps to members of a certain level. Now I am not familiar with laws regulating lotteries and sweeps, or whether HWC has to abide by some rules in regards to holding sweepstakes, or if they would be even allowed to LIMIT to certain people only - maybe someone who knows about this can explain further.
Old November 20, 2008, 12:05 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

There is already a restriction in place that limits the contest to forum members only. That in itself cuts the number of entries down drastically. There are 10's of thousands of views of the website by thousands of people. Of which - currently only 3,984 are available to participate, which is then cut down by the number of people who actually BOTHER to enter... and as there is no newsletter sent out announcing when a sweepstakes is taking place and no serious marketing for it, so people must actually be checking the website to know when an event is going on.

Given this, there is FAR greater weight favoring longtime and frequent members of the forum than there is some random contest jumper.

Any more favors towards members would be ridiculous.

In fact I don't see that these contests should even be FORUM sweepstakes - Part of the point of them is to encourage new members, encourage contribution and promote the website - Maybe there should be a separation. The occasional forum sweepstakes and contests open to the members of the public in which members, regular readers and contest hoppers all have equal chances.
Unfortunately it would seriously cut down on the opportunities us members have to get free stuff... but at least the long term guys would have a better chance of getting free stuff right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I am pretty sure that every time this site has held a sweepstake and the winner was drawn someone has said some comment about how they felt things weren't right.

To me that means things should be done possibly differently or changed.
Or maybe because some people love to complain and encourage conflict....

Last edited by FiXT; November 20, 2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old November 20, 2008, 03:51 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
Or maybe because some people love to complain and encourage conflict....

I think that pretty much covers it.

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit

Old November 20, 2008, 04:14 PM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

We did make a change to the points system today. We have given less weight to how long a person has been a registered member of the site. The key word here is LESS. You still get points for every day you have been registered but it's now not out of whack as compared to someone who is a newer member but posts a lot.

We re-calculated the points based on the new weighting so everyone will notice that their level has gone down.