Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Site Announcements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 19, 2008, 02:48 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav View Post
I can't give out that information but let's just look at the winners since adding the contribution level.

July 4th winner: Scratch with 296 posts, Level 14

July 21st winner: FreqE1 with 315 posts, Level 11

July 28th winner: Bushwickbill with 110 posts, Level 12

Sept. 3rd winner: Conky with 36 posts, Level 6

Nov. 16th winner: RJones with 5 posts, Level 11

Looks pretty obvious to me that the more you contribute the better your chances are. The more sweepstakes we have the more clear this will become as it will start to favour the regulars even more.

You also have to remember that contributions is not only posts or threads started. It takes into account how long you have been a registered member, how many people you have referred. How many sticky posts you have. By FAR, the best way to increase you chances is to refer more people and create excellent posts that we decide to sticky as you get 100 points for each.

At the end of the day, I hope people post because they want to. The sweepstakes should just be a bonus.
If I'm not mistaken, those posts counts and Level are as of Today. When they won, those members had much lower posts counts. So Enaberif is right. It's mostly members with a low post count that win the sweepstakes. Still, it's a case of the Luck of the Draw.

Case in point: over at NCIX, for their last eee Laptop sweepstakes (which gave away over 20 lappies), I hadover 700 entries.

Did I win? Nope. Not a single one.
Old November 19, 2008, 03:14 PM
Allstar
F@H

Well i don't know about all of you !
but i feel i am a winner by finding this site!
Now that i say that , No i am not kissing up i have no need to!

If i want something i work hard and buy it , but i win on here for the reasons that there are great like minded people!
and i got a killer rig built that i felt was a great price and i learn a ton on here !
So to me thats a winning situation lol
But i will still take a frebbie if the chance ever happned lol
Old November 19, 2008, 04:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Your logic is only correct if everyone was automatically

All I can say is the people who contribute more have a lot better chance of winning than people who do not. That's not to say that someone with only 1 post won't win though.
Well given the probability and odds, the more entries you have the higher odds of winning - NOW if someone with 1 entry wins it, they should SERIOUSLY consider buying a lottery ticket
Old November 19, 2008, 04:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
I'd like to see a minimum level or post count to enter. I'm sure the companies who donate the prizes though would like to see them remain open to everyone though. I was just voicing my displeasure.
I agree 100% and with this logic people who reached a certain level would be eligeable. As to sponsors, I don't think they would be bothered whether the winner is active or not - all they are concerned with is getting exposure on the website and forum as a whole - The reason why I think that sweeps should be open to people of certain levels AND activity, is to avoid people just registering to enter sweeps and leave.
Old November 19, 2008, 04:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
Like you said in your first comment "It's all a question of luck" If you stand by both comments you're contradicting yourself. How is it any different if an individual plays lotto649 every week vs someone that just happens to pick up a ticket randomly and wins, are you going to argue the same point?

Just my 2 cents,

EE
Wrong - you cannot compare loto 6/49 and a drawing - LOTO 6/49 are RANDOM numbers - there is no GARANTEE that anybody will win the jackpot - so your odds are the SAME all the time - little over 13 million to 1 - However, a sweeps, you have a GARANTEED winner or winners - so the more entries you have the more likely yours will get picked, according to the laws of probability - This would mean if LOTO QUEBEC instead of having randomly generated numbered balls coming out, would DRAW among existing tickets sold, that you would increase your odds if you purchased more tickets, since it's no longer about your 6 numbers matching the 6 randomly drawn numbers, BUT your ticket being picked out of all sold.

So if you have a giant pot with 5000 total entries, and you alone have say 300 of those, you have better odds of being picked than the one who has only 5 entries - now if if the ones with only 1 or 5 entries gets picked, it is a long shot, they are LUCKY, and this is where my "it's a matter of luck" came from
Old November 19, 2008, 05:31 PM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
If I'm not mistaken, those posts counts and Level are as of Today. When they won, those members had much lower posts counts.
Yes, but it's all relative. Everyone had a lower post count/level back then.
Old November 19, 2008, 05:35 PM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
So if you have a giant pot with 5000 total entries, and you alone have say 300 of those, you have better odds of being picked than the one who has only 5 entries - now if if the ones with only 1 or 5 entries gets picked, it is a long shot, they are LUCKY, and this is where my "it's a matter of luck" came from
This pretty much describes our sweepstakes and your chances of winning.
Old November 19, 2008, 05:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
This pretty much describes our sweepstakes and your chances of winning.
And its this thought that makes me feel that these sweepstakes are favored to those of lesser posts/points.
Old November 19, 2008, 05:40 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

These sweepstakes are awesome! I think its rather funny that some people win with few posts, such is life. If I joined the forum only to win, I guess I would be upset. Furthermore, if we give people who run these forums grief over these draws I would worry that they would just stop doing them.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 19, 2008, 05:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
And its this thought that makes me feel that these sweepstakes are favored to those of lesser posts/points.
Ok my math skillz may not be the greatest but WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton