Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Site Announcements

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41 (permalink)  
Old November 19, 2008, 09:54 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hell
Posts: 3,828
Default

Here is what is happening though. I'll make up numbers as an example.
Board has 1000 members.
Board has 100 active members over level 10. That's 1200 votes.
Board has 950 members level 1. that's 1900 votes.

People who don't contribute will win more often than people who do.

These numbers are close too, You have 1941 members. Only 180 members have more than 100 posts.

I'd like to see a minimum level or post count to enter. I'm sure the companies who donate the prizes though would like to see them remain open to everyone though. I was just voicing my displeasure.
Reply With Quote
  #42 (permalink)  
Old November 19, 2008, 11:49 AM
Gav's Avatar
Gav Gav is offline
Administrator
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,341

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Here is what is happening though. I'll make up numbers as an example.
Board has 1000 members.
Board has 100 active members over level 10. That's 1200 votes.
Board has 950 members level 1. that's 1900 votes.

People who don't contribute will win more often than people who do.

These numbers are close too, You have 1941 members. Only 180 members have more than 100 posts.

I'd like to see a minimum level or post count to enter. I'm sure the companies who donate the prizes though would like to see them remain open to everyone though. I was just voicing my displeasure.
Your logic is only correct if everyone was automatically entered. Everyone has to physically enter the sweepstakes (inactive people generally don't enter). If you go by the # of active users you can get a pretty good idea how many people are usually entering and from there you can guestimate your odds (which are quite high).

All I can say is the people who contribute more have a lot better chance of winning than people who do not. That's not to say that someone with only 1 post won't win though.
Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old November 19, 2008, 12:11 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav View Post
Your logic is only correct if everyone was automatically entered. Everyone has to physically enter the sweepstakes (inactive people generally don't enter). If you go by the # of active users you can get a pretty good idea how many people are usually entering and from there you can guestimate your odds (which are quite high).

All I can say is the people who contribute more have a lot better chance of winning than people who do not. That's not to say that someone with only 1 post won't win though.
So why not give us some stats with the amount of people that entered broke down as per entries.

No offense but this is what the 3rd sweepstake and it seems yet again a person with less than 5 posts keeps winning.

I know for myself that I personally don't feel like contributing as much anymore because it doesn't really seem to benefit anyone and on top of that it also makes me not want to enter sweepstakes.
Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old November 19, 2008, 12:46 PM
Gav's Avatar
Gav Gav is offline
Administrator
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,341

My System Specs

Default

I can't give out that information but let's just look at the winners since adding the contribution level.

July 4th winner: Scratch with 296 posts, Level 14

July 21st winner: FreqE1 with 315 posts, Level 11

July 28th winner: Bushwickbill with 110 posts, Level 12

Sept. 3rd winner: Conky with 36 posts, Level 6

Nov. 16th winner: RJones with 5 posts, Level 11

Looks pretty obvious to me that the more you contribute the better your chances are. The more sweepstakes we have the more clear this will become as it will start to favour the regulars even more.

You also have to remember that contributions is not only posts or threads started. It takes into account how long you have been a registered member, how many people you have referred. How many sticky posts you have. By FAR, the best way to increase you chances is to refer more people and create excellent posts that we decide to sticky as you get 100 points for each.

At the end of the day, I hope people post because they want to. The sweepstakes should just be a bonus.
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old November 19, 2008, 12:58 PM
Xilikon's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Quebec City
Posts: 446
Default

Let me add some devaluated 2 cents : We should be grateful there are sweepstakes since no other forum do that afaik ;)
__________________
Xilikon - Team 33

Proud to be [H]ard !
Reply With Quote
  #46 (permalink)  
Old November 19, 2008, 01:06 PM
Supergrover's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Okanagan Falls, British Columbia
Posts: 4,244

My System Specs

Default

A wise man once said........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilikon View Post
Let me add some devaluated 2 cents : We should be grateful there are sweepstakes ;)
__________________
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)  
Old November 19, 2008, 01:59 PM
cwestwell's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NWT
Posts: 675
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilikon View Post
Let me add some devaluated 2 cents : We should be grateful there are sweepstakes since no other forum do that afaik ;)
I agree...it's frigin awesome that there is sweepstakes at all... It sucks when you don't win... but do you complain when you don't win the lottery NO because its F*&%'n lottery.

I think it's cool that everybody has an equal shot because lets face there are a few users who seriously dominate this forum and if GAV edited the draw to give more weight to larger contributors then there would be like 20 people who would win everything. And just because RJ and Conky had lower post counts doesnt mean they dont spend a lot of time reading the forums RJ was a member for almost a year allready..this kind of bickering will only drive new subscribers and posters away....anyway

RJ you are a BAS$#rd because I didnt win but congrats man that's a smoking drive.
__________________
_______________________________________________

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit


Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit

Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old November 19, 2008, 02:03 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hell
Posts: 3,828
Default

Fair enough. I've only been a member since Conky and Rj. So it only seemed to me that low post guys were winning.

I take it all back.
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old November 19, 2008, 02:12 PM
Gav's Avatar
Gav Gav is offline
Administrator
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,341

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Fair enough. I've only been a member since Conky and Rj. So it only seemed to me that low post guys were winning.

I take it all back.
No worries. With the Contribution Level you are at, you will have an EXCELLENT chance on future sweepstakes.
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)  
Old November 19, 2008, 02:21 PM
cwestwell's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NWT
Posts: 675
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Fair enough. I've only been a member since Conky and Rj. So it only seemed to me that low post guys were winning.

I take it all back.
You were onto a decent equation Sqeetard I certainly wouldn't mind the extra chances at winning for my level and such but all in all the system works as is...and the sweeps also encourage new members to join if they feel like they have a chance of winning even as a newb which is the long run will get more new members who hopefully will get into HWC as much as I and really build a bigger community...I gotta say though I have noticed that as the market has tanked and prices have gone up newbuild posts certainly have taken a dive...oh well
__________________
_______________________________________________

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit


Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes