Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS NEWS > Site Announcements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 27, 2008, 07:47 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default HWC Reviewer Tryouts Round II

Final Date for Submissions: Jan. 18th, 2009
Open To: Residents of Canada only at this time

Hardware Canucks is pleased to present our second round of reviewers’ tryouts. We are looking for people to review specific pieces of hardware in certain categories which are listed below. Please note that the “ideal candidate” information is there just for your information and is by no means a pre-requisite to enter.

Categories in which we are searching for reviewers:

HTPC (cases, motherboards, peripherals, etc.)

Reviewer must show knowledge about the HTPC / SFF category of hardware. They will be asked to review products such as the Antec Fusion chassis and IGP motherboard solutions. The ideal candidate should have access to a monitor / TV capable of displaying 1080P video signals along with all other necessary hardware to properly output high definition video signals from your PC. You should also have an excellent knowledge of everything related to this category which includes HD terminology, how to properly set up and test the hardware, etc.

Enclosures (mATX ATX, EATX, fan controllers, etc.)

Reviewer will test cases in the mATX, ATX and EATX formats. The ideal candidate should have access to a longer GPU of the Nvidia 9-series, early 8-series or ATI 4-series and 3-series cards.

Consumer Electronics

Yes, this is a huge category and it covers quite a few areas from MP3 players to LCD TVs to PVRs to DVD players and remotes like the Logitech Harmony. The ideal candidate(s) should have excellent knowledge of the consumer electronics world which includes all of the above categories. That means everything from proper terminology for LCD panels to output capabilities of media players. While it would be great to have someone who has proficiency in all of these categories, we know it is next to impossible so please feel free to submit reviews in any sub-category you want and we may select multiple reviewers.

Gaming Peripherals (mice, keyboards, etc)

The name says it all. The ideal candidate should be an avid gamer who loves playing with the latest in gaming peripherals and who knows what other gamers are looking for as well.

If you want to review anything else then please feel free to do so and we will consider your entry.

So, how do you try out?

Trying out is simple. All you have to do is post a review of the product of your choosing (which you have in-hand or choose to buy) in the category (or categories) you want to try out for into the Members Reviews section with "Reviewer Tryouts" in the title. For example, if you want to try out for reviewing enclosures, you could review the Cooler Master chassis you bought a year ago. Post as many reviews as you want but remember that we are looking for quality before quantity.

The review should be loosely based on the reviews Hardware Canucks is currently publishing which means photos (between 640 x 480 and 800 X 600 resolution) and breaking your review into separate sections (Intro, Body, Conclusion). The final date for submissions is November 1st, 2008 with the final candidates being chosen soon thereafter by the Admin and Editorial staff.

What we are looking for in the tryout reviews

The review you post should show the following:

- Knowledge about the product you are reviewing
- Excellent grasp of the English language
- The ability to write an article with sufficient content to properly discuss the product you are reviewing
- Good photographic skills
- A working knowledge of Excel if the category (or categories) you are trying out for need graphs
- The ability to work within a pre-determined timeline

If you do not believe you can complete at least one review per month (ask the other reviewers, it isn’t easy sometimes) please don’t bother trying out.

It should be noted that from time to time manufacturers WILL ask for products back so don’t go into this thinking you will be able to keep a $5000 TV.

Remember, we are always looking for innovation so if you are trying out and always said to yourself “I wish someone would have tested like this in a review…” by all means, show us what we have been missing.

Please use this thread for any questions you may have.

Above all else, ENJOY!!!

Last edited by SKYMTL; November 20, 2008 at 05:54 AM.
Old September 27, 2008, 08:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Exxelent im just about to finish up two more reviews good luck to all.
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Old September 27, 2008, 09:18 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I wonder if I should tryout for the HTPC section... I get Pm's once every couple weeks from a member asking about htpc advice. Could be very interesting... should I or shouldn't I?

1080p TV? check.
HDMI 1.3a / 7.1 receiver with lastest audio formats? check.
Knowledge? Well, I hope so...

Edit: Then again, I've got fair experience with consumer goods and gamer peripherals as well.

Last edited by CMetaphor; September 27, 2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old September 27, 2008, 09:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

Maybe post a guide on reviewing, I would love to do some with some products I have that people admire. Unfortunately I don't know how to review :(
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old September 27, 2008, 10:24 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Is there proofreading position open? :rtfm:
J/K. Sorry I couldn't resist.
Good luck to all contributers.
Old September 28, 2008, 06:19 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Decisions, descisions:
For the Gaming Peripherals section: I will be reviewing a Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital Edition in the next two weeks, including framerate benchmarks with one vs three 22' monitors.

For the HTPC section: Not sure as yet, considering none of my HTPC components are "new" so I cannot include packaging pictures. Would I be allowed to review an old component? If not, I may have to get something new (since I really like the idea of HTPC reviews).
Old September 28, 2008, 09:01 AM
Allstar

Interesting. Maybe I'll try out this time.
Old September 28, 2008, 04:04 PM

Packaging pics aren't necessaru if you don't have it anymore.

As for a "Guide on Reviewing", check out any of our mobo, case or GPU reviews. There's your guide.
Old September 28, 2008, 05:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

What is the pay like?

j/k.
Old September 28, 2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
What is the pay like?

j/k.