Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 29, 2008, 06:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well...the 3.0GHz quad could have some potential to get up around 4.0GHz (pure speculation here), but by then it won't matter. It will be competing with old tech like Penryn as opposed to Nehalem.
Old August 29, 2008, 07:04 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

At this point I would LOVE to see a Phenom reach 4GHz....on AIR. The heatsink would probably have to be as big as farking HOUSE with a fan "borrowed" from a wind tunnel...but it would be worth it ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 30, 2008, 11:28 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Uh, last I checked, Phenom didn't even equal Kentsfield, clock-for-clock, let alone beat it. There's no way this is legit.

Edit: Not sure what to think about that screenshot. Between the discrepancy between the Overdrive and CPU-Z voltage reports? 4.0 Ghz and 1.475 Vcore giving temps of 53 degrees at 100% load? All (visible) core temps the same? Meh... not damning, but a little weird.
CPU-Z voltage report is way off. on my nf2 rig (green in sig) anything above 1.45V (athlon xp usualy work with 1.65-1.75) shows has 2.0V

but that 4ghz story is BS ...

DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D / AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7Ghz/ 2*1GB OCZ Gold GX XTC / Sapphire X1950XT / Fortron 450W PSU / 2*Maxtor 80Gb

Old August 30, 2008, 05:31 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
At this point I would LOVE to see a Phenom reach 4GHz....on AIR. The heatsink would probably have to be as big as farking HOUSE with a fan "borrowed" from a wind tunnel...but it would be worth it ;)
This is pure speculation based on what I've read off the interwebz, but the 45 nm Phenoms are supposed to be substantially more power efficient and overclockable than their 65 nm counterparts (not including this story, which is obviously bogus). Obviously nothing official is coming from AMD until late in the year, so those "reviews" will have to be taken w/ a grain of salt.
Old August 31, 2008, 01:09 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

It's a probably a piss take, mates. However, 4GHz Phenom do exist in the form of heavily overclocked Agena chips: THE OVERCLOCKING WORLD RECORD DATABASE
But they are well and truly beyond our realm of realism.
Old August 31, 2008, 01:41 AM
Allstar

Well, lets get down to brass tacks here guys and think about what we are debating. ITs like, your tyring to compare a Taurus SHO to a Toyota Soarer. Two completely differant engines and differant ways to get the power out. Heres a good one, lets compare a DEC ALPHA chip to an SUN ULTRASPARC, or a POWER 6 to a MIPS. CANNOT be done. SO, pleeeeze dont do it! Honestly, an AMD has ALWAYS smoked an INTEL when it comes down to crunching numbers, hence, supurior server chip. Intel has always been better at multimedia, hence games and photoshop.