Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/)
-   -   Nvidia is rumoured to be making an x86 chip (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/9494-nvidia-rumoured-making-x86-chip.html)

Cheator August 20, 2008 01:18 PM

Nvidia is rumoured to be making an x86 chip

Nvidia to announce x86 chip next week - The INQUIRER

So says the Inq. I doubt there is a shred of truth in this.

Spaceman-Spiff August 20, 2008 01:58 PM

Problem is, a lot of patents for x86 are held by Intel. AMD and Via had some license agreements with Intel. If Intel doesn't want to give out anything to nVidia, then they won't be able to (legally) sell their x86 products.

If you want to know more, reading some Slashdot comments will shed some light.

Cheator August 20, 2008 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaceman-Spiff (Post 81142)
Problem is, a lot of patents for x86 are held by Intel. AMD and Via had some license agreements with Intel. If Intel doesn't want to give out anything to nVidia, then they won't be able to (legally) sell their x86 products.

If you want to know more, reading some Slashdot comments will shed some light.

I'm very aware of the limitations, just mentioning that this was at the Inq... thought it was funny :)

DarKStar August 20, 2008 03:42 PM

LOL

The NVIDIA x86 8 core CPU, including full PhysX implamentation - 1 universal GeForce driver, for your GPU, nForce motherboard and CPU !

Let's hope they don't screw up this time ;)

DK2 August 20, 2008 04:01 PM

Lots of luck with that, I hope they are not using Intel's instruction set documents.
Some intructions don't do what say they do, or what they should do, just plain old
mistakes that go back to the 386 days, but they keep the errors for compatibilty.

belgolas August 20, 2008 04:59 PM

I doubt they will make one.

Killswitch August 20, 2008 05:11 PM

I read a similar article about this not too long ago but I can't remember where. I think it would be great if nVidia made a CPU. With Intel preparing to introduce Larrabee (who knows when?) that'll make 3 well rounded competitors. Each might have a complete platform to promote like AMD does with their "Spider" system.

AMD, nVidia, and Intel......... each making CPU's, GPU's and chipsets.

It not only sounds cool but I'll bet that's kind of what nVidia and Intel are each aiming for, to be like AMD!!!!!!!!!!!! :bleh: :haha:

DK2 August 20, 2008 06:25 PM

just a thought, but maybe Nvidia views amd as an almost dead carcus, and are just circling.

encorp August 20, 2008 07:20 PM

There's been a lot of bumbling in the market around Nvidia too, I'm in a good circle of investors and there's been lots of rumors and talk about Nvidia and "something" soon.

Killswitch August 20, 2008 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheator (Post 81148)
I'm very aware of the limitations, just mentioning that this was at the Inq... thought it was funny :)

I don't see what's funny. Even the author of the article at the Inquirer had doubts. He didn't say that nVidia WILL come out with a CPU.