Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 9, 2008, 04:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Note to self, it does interfere with the Lattice of most metals.
Need to do some more research, but it would be wild to find a Non-Metal Heatsink/Radiator combo that would work with this substance.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 9, 2008, 06:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

hey it's easy.

Block made from pure tungsten with oriented lattice diamond as the 'Face' material.I can make one for yah from scratch with new materials for about 12,000$ CDN

-----

Here is info on Galinstan.

Old December 9, 2008, 06:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Mind is full of ideas everytime I see this, lol, its a damn shame I'm not an engineer to some degree.

Good Info on it,
Too bad there are not many non-metals to craft out of that have high thermal ratios.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old December 9, 2008, 06:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

hehe

Oriented lattice diamond is the best thermal conductor on earth :

Applied Diamond, Inc.

------

Here's a couple other links for yah :

Nanocoolers : to my knowledge these guys made the first commercial cpu cooler using liquid metal ;

techPowerUp! News :: NanoCoolers puts liquid metal in your PC

and ,

Not just the Soviets ; Japan's monju fast breeder reactor :

YouTube - Monju nuclear reactor sodium leak accident footage

That's why liquid sodium is bad....haw....

Old December 9, 2008, 07:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Oh I know there are more applications for Liquid metal, was saving space by not stating them all.
Aerospace makes use of lots for the shuttle (but of a different breed).

One day someone will wrap their head around this, and figure it out.
One day lol.
GOod links though. I remember playing with Cesium in class, that stuff explodes when it touches water, and burns when it touches air.
Great stuff!

ST

Old December 9, 2008, 07:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

Hey If you ever decide to fool around with this stuff , I'll help yah out as much as I can.

-------

It was probably sodium you saw in class , they don't generally waste cesium on demo's.

Old December 10, 2008, 04:56 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Nahh It was Cesium for sure, not much of it.
Sodium and Lithium only turn black when exposed to the air.
That was many moons ago though.

Heh, I will start figuring this out, I think a non-traditional Rad would work for this.
I wonder if I payed DD or Swift enough they would fabricate something lol!

That or I take traditional blocks and get them coated inside.

I'll hit you up on a PM. One question though, do you know where I'd find the stats for what my PWM output Max is (Watts/Amps) ?

Thanks,
ST

Old December 10, 2008, 08:18 AM
Banned

My System Specs

Well, there is this as well:

Coollaboratory Liquid MetalPad

It's not the same as the OP's post, it's a thermal paste, but a pad instead.
Old December 10, 2008, 05:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Nahh It was Cesium for sure, not much of it.
Sodium and Lithium only turn black when exposed to the air.
That was many moons ago though.

Heh, I will start figuring this out, I think a non-traditional Rad would work for this.
I wonder if I payed DD or Swift enough they would fabricate something lol!

That or I take traditional blocks and get them coated inside.

I'll hit you up on a PM. One question though, do you know where I'd find the stats for what my PWM output Max is (Watts/Amps) ?

Thanks,
ST
I only ever got the potassium demo dammit....I feel cheated.

------

Here's how I would make a liquid metal loop :

Step 1 : it needs to be designed such that the 'coldface' i.e the piece between the cpu and the liquid metal is a replaceable piece.The 'back' of the block would be a hollow square piece with the hose barbs etc.

Step 2 : the back part , with the hosebarbs etc , is machined from a single piece of either tungsten or molybdenum.I'm not sure which yet , I'm looking into it.

Step 3 : The 'coldface' is a piece of copper that's been coated with the best coating we can find......Gallium oxide , carbon , etc....

Step 4: The rads......same as above , tungsten or moly interface to copper....Handmade once again.

---------

I'm not sure ST , What PWM hardware we talking about ?

-------

mlauzon : The coolabratory stuff is essentially a modified Galinstan.Check out thier 'warnings' page ...heheh......it's been adjusted to tolerate copper , but you don't dare get it near aluminum.....

Old December 10, 2008, 07:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The PWM that a Motherboard has. It (One would Imagine at least) has an Output limit in wattage/amperage, I have no idea how to research that though. I don't want to connect this pump and burn out a board by doing research.

Heh, enhanced Chem Class got some sick experiments.

I think a Tempered Acrylic Block with a 2mm overlap of a copper and/or Silver based core would work on the CPU face.
As for the Rad, yeah you can use either of those metals, or instead of a rad, you create a 'holding tank' with fans and restricted turbulent cycles to allow for passive/active hybrid cooling.

Sooooo many thoughts.

Good to see someone else as versed in this as myself, even more so really.
ST