Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/)
-   -   The New Amd 9950 thats right boyz! (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/8292-new-amd-9950-thats-right-boyz.html)

Dashock June 30, 2008 10:46 PM

The New Amd 9950 thats right boyz!

Alright soo i was browsing around and heard of a new chip comin out the 9950 and the greeks of all people have gotten their hands on it i hope its legit!

heres the link.
Review: AMD Phenom x4 9950 (??? o/c) - OutOfSpecs.gr

Dashock June 30, 2008 10:54 PM

They managed to get it to 3.6 but only 3.3 stable on air.... things havent been looking too good for amd id like to buy an amd processor in the future but currently their line up has turned me sour.

Jmac July 1, 2008 12:49 AM

Their sub-$125 offerings still offer up some good performance for the dollar, especially when you take their 780G motherboards into account, but once you get into the higher performance categories, I see no reason to even consider AMD at the moment save for a few niche markets.

Ogdin July 1, 2008 08:04 AM

Just gotta wait and see what the 790gx + 9950 can do.That 140 tdp looks kinda scary though.

Dashock July 1, 2008 09:29 AM

yer telling me 140 watts i just dont get it in this day an age they wanna be reducing energy theyve lost that edge it seems as past processors were good at energy conservation. I dont know if they will be launching the AM3 platform by the end of this year but thats sumthing to look forward to as well.!

zlojack July 2, 2008 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dashock (Post 65715)
yer telling me 140 watts i just dont get it in this day an age they wanna be reducing energy theyve lost that edge it seems as past processors were good at energy conservation. I dont know if they will be launching the AM3 platform by the end of this year but thats sumthing to look forward to as well.!

But isn't the TDP misleading on AMD chips because they've got the onboard memory controller? Shouldn't the Intel northbridge be factored in as well as the CPU when measuring?

ebdoradz July 2, 2008 04:10 PM

thats a good point

Eagle Eye July 2, 2008 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogdin (Post 65703)
Just gotta wait and see what the 790gx + 9950 can do.That 140 tdp looks kinda scary though.

As long as the motherboard is built to support a high TDP then it should be fine.

Quote:

But isn't the TDP misleading on AMD chips because they've got the onboard memory controller? Shouldn't the Intel northbridge be factored in as well as the CPU when measuring?
I don't see how this is relevant please explain

EE

CanadaRox July 2, 2008 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle Eye (Post 66081)
As long as the motherboard is built to support a high TDP then it should be fine.

I don't see how this is relevant please explain

EE

Dashock said that AMD has lost their edge because they are less efficient, so less appealing compared to Intel. zlojack meant that since AMD chips have the memory controller onboard, they have more contributing the the TDP than Intel does, so you accurately compare the TDP's you would have to factor in the NB as well as the CPU for an Intel chip.

zlojack July 3, 2008 08:40 AM

That's right. It's not an apples to apples comparison CPU to CPU.