Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 19, 2008, 07:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I think I can feel your frustration from here :)

you said Cards ? are you going to crossfire ? or 4870 ?

Where Can I send the Starbucks oversized coffee to help for the no sleep issue of the next couple of days ?

Or better yet, Can I help benchmarking ? I am in montreal and got friday afternoon off ! That would be more fun than doing the wife chores list !

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old June 19, 2008, 07:21 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Unfortunately, until I am told otherwise I will have to respect the NDA since it is a signed legal document. In this case I can't discuss anything until I get the go-ahead from my rep at AMD whose phone seems to be ringing off the hooks since I can't get in touch with him. So, I can rant, bitch, complain and everything else but I can't discuss the card(s) themselves or if I even have a GTX 260 killer.

It is unfortunate though that alot of these previews are using older drivers
Old June 19, 2008, 07:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

nice, you changed the word for Card(S) lol. Gotta be as vague as possbile !

And I understand your point, you dont want to get on the wrong side of the amd Rep. Keep his phone rigning !

If I would be looking for the better drivers preview I would be looking where ?

Sold hardware again.....
Old June 19, 2008, 08:19 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

xfastest.com has come comparos up posted here
Old June 19, 2008, 08:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
It is unfortunate though that alot of these previews are using older drivers
I think I bumped into a page today with the new catalyst drivers for these cards today. They claimed to yield some pretty big performance increases.

Seems like "action stations" at the moment-cant wait to see your reviews! This site has the final word on performance as far as I'm concerned.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old June 19, 2008, 08:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

thanks you,

tough decisions coming nearer..... go for 4850, xfire them ? wait for the 4870 or the 4870x2 ? or use 3870x2 once thre prices hit rock bottom... ahh too much info, I think I'll have to OC my brain !

For thoses who where on the previous releases, what kind of waiting time for Ek and the other to get waterblocks out ?

Sold hardware again.....
Old June 19, 2008, 08:57 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

All right, here we go with the info from AMD and this is OFFICIAL:

Etailers were beginning to sell these products in the EU due to the high demand and several publications thus decided to break NDA earlier in the week. In order to keep things somewhat under control, AMD Europe pulled forward the NDA on the HD4850 to today but did not inform North American reviewers who only received their cards within the last two days. Many of us are completely up in arms about this but I must say that the blame doesn't rest completely on the shoulders of AMD since it was the retailers who broke NDA forcing AMD's hand.

On the other hand, AMD could have waited to do the same thing Nvidia does: wait for the last second to send board to retailers and channel partners. That way the NDA is pretty much respected.

Here is OUR official take and if need be I will put it in it own post:

We are not going to rush this review now that the NDA has been lifted. We will do it and do it RIGHT; with drivers which are available to the public (public drivers will be released next week from AMD). At this time the retail samples of these boards have engineering drivers which aren't worth spit compared to what reviewer's have access to and what the public will have access to next week.

We are commited to giving you guys honest, unbiased reviews with comparisons you can relate to. If we rushed to push this out within the next few days we would not be keeping with our commitment to you, the readers. Thus, when we do publish our HD4850 review you can be assured that it we will include AT LEAST nine cards, Crossfire testing and the other craziness we usually include which no one else does.

It is unfortunate that this had to happen and we apologize for not having a review up when the NDA was lifted but it was frankly impossible to do with the original release date of the 25th being the last information we had until I saw reviews being posted.

My initial take on the HD4850

From the limited time I have had with the HD4850 (about 4 hours last night) I can say that I am EXTREMELY impressed with the card and its price. The power consumption is in-line with a 8800GT while offering comparable framerates in Crysis (with early drivers since new ones were posted last night at midnight) while beating the 9800GTX in 3DMark 06 with AA enabled. From my initial take, if you are looking for a $200 - $220 GPU this is the one to have. Period.
Old June 19, 2008, 09:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Sounds good. Definitely better to do it right with the right user drivers..otherwise whats the point??

Thats why users trust the "realworld" reviews on this site more than the other sites.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old June 19, 2008, 09:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Thanks for keeping us informed, appreciated !

Have fun reviewing

P.S. For those in montreal CIPC (on Rosemont) are now saying that they have the 4850 in stock.....

Sold hardware again.....

Last edited by matsta31; June 19, 2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old June 19, 2008, 03:26 PM
CoolIT Systems Rep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsta31 View Post

For thoses who where on the previous releases, what kind of waiting time for Ek and the other to get waterblocks out ?
We (CoolIT Systems) will have liquid on these cards for you guys with a HWC review asap.