Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Actually, sales mean EVERYTHING.
Not really, if you think sales are everything, then

Toyota makes the best cars in the world
Samsung makes the best phones in the world
Apple is considered the greatest electronic and software company of all time.

You see the problem?

All three examples are subjective but if you say sales mean everything then it must be true. Screw competition, screw innovation, screw technological evolutions, let's just buy the products from the same companies for the rest of our lives because they are the best.

As you can tell I try to support a competition to prevent a monopoly like Intel corporation. Even if technically they have a better product and the benchmarks shows it.

Last edited by ShinraCorp; June 18, 2014 at 06:06 AM.
Old June 18, 2014, 02:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinraCorp View Post
Not really, if you think sales are everything, then

Toyota makes the best cars in the world
Samsung makes the best phones in the world
Apple is considered the greatest electronic and software company of all time.

You see the problem?

All three examples are subjective but if you say sales mean everything then it must be true. Screw competition, screw innovation, screw technological evolutions, let's just buy the products from the same companies for the rest of our lives because they are the best.

As you can tell I try to support a competition to prevent a monopoly like Intel corporation. Even if technically they have a better product and the benchmarks shows it.

Sorry but just have to mention, Apple would not be anywhere near the greatest electronic and software company of all time, if it was based on sales. Their best selling devices, iPhones, are already being outsold by Samsung, and software wise they sell almost nothing, sure they have itunes, but that is about it. If you had to pick something with regards to software based on sales I'm pretty sure it would be windows or maybe even android now if it is based on shear numbers.

But what Sky said is true, sales are everything.
Old June 18, 2014, 05:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yes folks tend to read wayyyyyy too much into things...its there "Complex Brains" I guess ;) ...Here's a Bobzone anaology:

Company A: They have a toaster....its an "okay" Toaster...with a few different models, some better than others, with one top tier model....they sell 1,000 units to customers in 12 months including 300 top tier models......

Company B: They too sell Toasters...there's are okay as well, BUT...they have this 1 Toaster that really is unique....it can also make ice cubes...but they sell only 500 models over 12 month and only 50 of the unique...

Pretty straight forward really ;) ...the Folks working for Company A may get a bonus !!!

Firestrike Extreme: 21.452
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/14167916
MARK 11: 32.530
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12496075

Introducing me n my OCD to Watercooling, is like taking an Alcoholic to an "all you can drink" Beach Bar in Mexico

Old June 19, 2014, 03:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Pretty straight forward really ;) ...the Folks working for Company A may get a bonus !!!
It's simpler.. and more complex than that..
The better a company does(sales-profits), the more likely they are to have the budget to spend on R&D, bonuses, facilities etc.

That said
Equally, the company with the better innovations is more likely to attract talent as long as they can pay a reasonably competitive wage.

It's a pointless argument as, IMO as long as a company is profitable and makes a competitive or unique and quality product, then they are doing their job. Providing something useful while taking in more money than they spend.
Anything else is superfluous.
That said if your point is AMD vs NV on who is better? IMO NV make a more rounded better quality product and as such are perfectly entitled to charge a bit of a premium(Audi A4 costs more than a VW Passat even though they are basically the same car, one is finished to a slightly higher standard and has the badge).
AMD has rougher edges (though very much improved I hear on the driver front) but provides more bang for your buck. This is easily seen in current temps and thus noise and the old and I believe now resolved problem of stutter/jitter/dropped frames especially in CF.

Both companies use spin and tricks and tactics to try 1 up the other, so there is no moral high-ground for either.
As far as what to buy... well thats personal preference as are soo many things. Same goes for reasons for buying. Some may like to support the "underdog", personally I buy the best most refined product I can that does the job I need it to that is within my budget and as such I have had NV cards for some time now after a few ATI/AMD's.

Who know next few gens AMD may be back ahead and I'll put my money there but for now, AMD don't seem to have an architectural answer to NV. Equally though NV are poking their noses in a bit too much and controlling what people can do with their hardware. It's not software, I didn't purchase a license and agree not to alter it etc, I bought it, let me eaily do what the hell I want with it (same goes for locked and unlocked CPU's)

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"

Last edited by Dzzope; June 19, 2014 at 03:17 AM.
Old June 19, 2014, 06:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The rumours are pushing onto other sites now for 28nm late this fall.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880 and GTX 870 to Launch This Q4 | techPowerUp

Last edited by Bond007; June 19, 2014 at 08:38 AM.
Old June 19, 2014, 07:05 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Again, sites all parroting each other. Unfortunately, journalism takes a back seat when vying for pageviews.
Old June 19, 2014, 10:28 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Again, sites all parroting each other. Unfortunately, journalism takes a back seat when vying for pageviews.
Funnily enough, all of them are reporting about 28nm products(with 20nm being delayed info w/o any source to back it up) meanwhile 20nm info flying around the web gets left out.
Old June 19, 2014, 10:41 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

It isn't really reporting. They are all running off the same "story" that started this all.
Old June 19, 2014, 10:51 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
The rumours are pushing onto other sites now for 28nm late this fall.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880 and GTX 870 to Launch This Q4 | techPowerUp
You posting something that we been talked about but i think the bus is going to be higher then 256 bit and i think those are old specs. With it being 2nd gen of maxwell i got a feeling its going to be a high end card that will be replacing the gtx 780/ti