Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13, 2014, 11:39 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Microsoft Reportedly Prepping Windows 9 Announcement

Source: Microsoft Reportedly Prepping Windows 9 Announcement | Maximum PC

There will be an update to Windows 8.1 sometime later this year, which isn't surprising because Microsoft never stops working on Windows. Beyond that, however, Microsoft is reportedly gearing up to announce Windows 9 during its Build 2014 developer conference in April. Should things go plan, Windows 9, or "Threshold" if you prefer to use the codename, will launch to consumers a year later.

This is according to Paul Thurrott, who says that "Windows 8 is tanking harder than Microsoft is comfortable discussing in public." By Thurrott's figures, Windows 8.1 is installed on less than 25 million PCs, and one thing Windows 9 desperately needs to do is find a better balance between traditional PC users and those who are adopting newer touch-friendly form factors.

"In short, it needs to be everything that Windows 8 is not," Thurrott says.

But will it be? Well, one of the reasons Microsoft is dropping the Windows 8 brand in favor of Windows 9 is to distance itself from its current OS. A name change alone won't get things done, and while details are light at the moment, Thurrott says the Windows team will focus on maturing and fixing the Metro design language. A windowed mode that works on the desktop could be in the cards.
Old January 13, 2014, 11:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

LOL.

Oh the windows cycle..

Windows 98 SE (Faboulous), Window ME (Atrocious), Windows XP (Faboulous), Windows Vista (Atrocious), Windows 7 (Fabolous), Windows 8 (Atrocious)

Seems like they like to both an OS every 2nd major release LOL.

Retards.
Old January 13, 2014, 11:43 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Personally I think they need 2 iterations of the OS, Maybe that can be selected at the Install level where you select if the OS will be used on a PC or a Touch Screen Device.

I actually used windows 8 last night for the first time while trying to setup a friends new laptop and even with a touchscreen on it I didnt use it and instead had an external mouse attached. Funny enough even though It was a BRAND new laptop, i tried to run windows update (which took googling to even find.....) and during the update process the entire OS crashed beyond repair and I needed to use the restore partition of the drive. Not a very good first impression for me since I already had my doubts on this Tablet OS that was tossed onto PCs.

Windows 9 will need to be stellar to beat out this crap.
Old January 13, 2014, 12:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Good stuff, I dodged a bullet by not getting 8. So long as I can hold off and hope that MS's tick tock cycle of OS releases doesn't disappoint I will be happy.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 13, 2014, 01:06 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Windows 9 desperately needs to do is find a better balance between traditional PC users and those who are adopting newer touch-friendly form factors.
No they effing DON'T.

People are adopting touch-friendly notebooks and ultra portables because it's being crammed down their collective throats. Touch notebooks are bought for the same reason BS 3D HDTVs were: because you can't find a decent model without it.

MS needs thrown up a Berlin Wall between their touch and standard OSes and be done with it.
Old January 13, 2014, 01:18 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
No they effing DON'T.

People are adopting touch-friendly notebooks and ultra portables because it's being crammed down their collective throats. Touch notebooks are bought for the same reason BS 3D HDTVs were: because you can't find a decent model without it.

MS needs thrown up a Berlin Wall between their touch and standard OSes and be done with it.
Amen to that one!
Old January 13, 2014, 01:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As someone who has been using Windows 8 and liking it since a month after release on a HP DV4-1225DX from 2009, I really do not really get why people are so disablingly upset. You can enjoy the benefits of Windows 8 without touch cruft. But then I liked Vista SP0 more than XP, so what do I know.

My response to this is: Really? I have to go get Windows 9 already?
IDK about you guys but it takes me real time to get a new OS and programs installed the way I want.

I would say the biggest offender is pushing everything (like 8.1 update) into the online store and trying to force users to online accounts.
The above is my biggest concern for Windows 9 since online accounts and windows store are things I wish to avoid but may not be avoidable in the future.

When it comes to Windows 9 my only hope is that it is enough to convince the Windows 7 and remaining Windows XP holdouts to upgrade. If Windows 9 is delayed or flops we will be in for a repeat of XP and nobody wants that.(except enab )
Old January 13, 2014, 02:05 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I was considering putting windows 8.1 on my new 4770k build but after last night and my first hour on windows 8 leaving me with a crashed OS install simply by running the nicely hidden windows update utility.... Not happening, no way no how.

If windows 9 is like windows 8 in the way that its designed completely for touch screen with mouse use added after the fact then I wont be getting that either. Metro UI needs way more then an overhaul. it needs to be trashed and removed from history lol.

Why is it impossible for them to just have a windows 7 style desktop and start menu for PC use? is it because that isn't Touch screen friendly? Tough shit, leave windows 8 for touch screens and give windows 9 to real PC users.
Old January 13, 2014, 02:34 PM
MVP

This isn't a surprise. It's part of Microsoft's rapid release cycle which was announced quite some time ago.

It's funny how inverse this issue is regarded by industry analysts vs opinions expressed here. No one attributes the desktop PC sales crisis with touch features in Windows 8. That is an absurd technocentric view. The consensus is that Microsoft hasn't done enough to make Windows fully touch friendly and affordable.

This is because consumers are buying touch devices instead of conventional PCs. Not because they're boycotting Windows 8.x like some here like to imagine. Only those living under rocks can deny we're in the midst of a paradigm shift. Casual users are abandoning general purpose computing. It is in this space where Microsoft needs Windows 9 to succeed to remain relevant with these consumers.

There is no reason devices cannot support both touch and desktop apps. As small devices like phones become more powerful, we will surely see some form of desktop support as standard. It will be effortless for them to provide the most popular desktop functions when docked with a keyboard, mouse and display.
Old January 13, 2014, 02:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
This isn't a surprise. It's part of Microsoft's rapid release cycle which was announced quite some time ago.

It's funny how inverse this issue is regarded by industry analysts vs opinions expressed here. No one attributes the desktop PC sales crisis with touch features in Windows 8. That is an absurd technocentric view. The consensus is that Microsoft hasn't done enough to make Windows fully touch friendly and affordable.

This is because consumers are buying touch devices instead of conventional PCs. Not because they're boycotting Windows 8.x like some here like to imagine. Only those living under rocks can deny we're in the midst of a paradigm shift. Casual users are abandoning general purpose computing. It is in this space where Microsoft needs Windows 9 to succeed to remain relevant with these consumers.

There is no reason devices cannot support both touch and desktop apps. As small devices like phones become more powerful, we will surely see some form of desktop support as standard. It will be effortless for them to provide the most popular desktop functions when docked with a keyboard, mouse and display.
Really? That's funny because my personal experience has been just the polar opposite. Every question I get from friends / family is related to either wanting to purchase a new PC with win 7 vice win 8, or how to remove win 8 after the fact if they've already purchased a new PC/Laptop. This is without any prior coaching on my part (in case you think my personal views are biasing their opinion of win8).

If anything, the so called industry "analysts / experts" you are quoting come across sounding like the paid shills they probably are, as opposed to offering any real insight into what the PC desktop consumer wants.

I'd be very interested in knowing how many subscriptions Max PC lost because of their obvious bias to forcing win8 on a reluctant public. I know they lost mine.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; January 13, 2014 at 03:02 PM.
Closed Thread