Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 14, 2014, 07:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
I am just happy that as a community here @ HWC we finally got curt off XP.
HAR HAR.

Thats only because everyone and their holy ghost thought Vista was all that and a pile of gold when it wasn't. And I simply was not going to switch to an OS just because.

When 7 came out and I started using it I liked it and then switched.

Same story with 8.. Hell I use Surface Pros at work with 8 on it and STILL hate the damn OS,
Old January 14, 2014, 07:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birk View Post
Just gunna put this here...
Me too...

Seems like a PEBKAC error
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old January 14, 2014, 07:46 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Me too...

Seems like a PEBKAC error
Nope... maybe an 8.1 improvment?

And I should ask around howmany mainstream users know windows key + r + update since its so user friendly
Attached Images

Old January 14, 2014, 07:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Searching windows has been around since like...post DOS days afaik. Definitely before my time.

Why are you complaining about Win 8 and your user experience sucking? All these posts are saying 8.1 fixes the issues everyone in this entire thread is complaining about, (minus the full screen start menu that Curt things destroys life as we know it). Just update and you'll be fine. You've already changed one step by going to 8, its not very much further to go to 8.1.

YOU CAN DO IT. I BELIEVE IN YOU!!!!
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old January 14, 2014, 07:57 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

actually we returned the laptop that the windows 8 updates crashed last night and im trying it again. not my laptop, still struggling to get it to even install the 79 current imporant updates, hoping it doesnt trash the OS again. Not much faith its going to work this time either the way its going

If I do manage to get it to windows 8.1 I'll see how that feels. Im still not 100% against upgrading my new rig to 8.1 but it better friggin blow me away with being so very much better then 7 before i'll be totally set. right now id rather dos then 8.0
Old January 14, 2014, 08:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, search was largely broken in 8.0, it's definitely fixed in 8.1. If I recall, I think you had to press WinKey+Q to get to the proper search.

I will agree that 8.0 was a total writeoff. Nobody should have to use that as it was effectively "beta" as far as I'm concerned.
Old January 14, 2014, 08:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Joining in here, but with 8.0.(use the store for an online update? bite me)
Windows Update is not considered an "app" it is in settings just like it would be(and is) in control panels.

That being said.. do I use "new user interface"? no. I operate in desktop mode 99.99% of the time and have a start menu replacement.

Last edited by MacJunky; January 14, 2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old January 14, 2014, 08:24 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker View Post
I said that a few posts back and it was scoffed at.

As for the app thing... really?

Windows key + R - update. Problem solved. Been that way since the beginning.

AKG - curious, how would you know what experience/education I have? Or do you have a number of PhD and MBA's and have written literally every book on the subject making you the number authority on the subject. I figure that must be it since you must be what, 60-70 to make the assumption im a "pup"

If so, could you link me your master thesis and dissertations so I could skim over it? Always interested in seeing another's original research.
I know because you are still young and shiny. If you are over 30 I would be very surprised. It comes across in your writing. You think you know it all. The truth of the matter is no one does -including me.

I have been working with computers professionally for decades. I have seen your type come and go. One day you will realize that you are not as smart as you think you are...and your world view will come crashing down. It will be sad, but take solace in the fact it happens to every generation. Even yours.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; January 14, 2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old January 14, 2014, 09:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birk View Post
still struggling to get it to even install the 79 current imporant updates, hoping it doesnt trash the OS again. Not much faith its going to work this time either the way its going
Install in groups of a few at a time, use system restore to create a new restore point after each group.
If one group causes problems then restore and install the rest of the updates in groups and return to the problematic updates at the end.

I had to do that on one of my systems a couple months ago and it turned out everything installed properly with only a couple IE related updates left in the end. I forget how the situation turned out after that. Anyway at that point you might have an update that partially relies on an earlier one, or something is just plain broken. *shrug*
Old January 15, 2014, 09:01 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
I know because you are still young and shiny. If you are over 30 I would be very surprised. It comes across in your writing. You think you know it all. The truth of the matter is no one does -including me.

I have been working with computers professionally for decades. I have seen your type come and go. One day you will realize that you are not as smart as you think you are...and your world view will come crashing down. It will be sad, but take solace in the fact it happens to every generation. Even yours.
Im not coming off as a know it all by any means, and does the word hypocrite come to mind? The whole condescending 'young pup' comment following by the flexing of education and experience seems to have the exact same tone. Having an issue with people shit talking things when the problem is clearly the users isn't a know it all. The user here is bitching about things that are clearly not the fault of the product and spewing it to others, but of the user and that was the point I was making. And that is a rampant issue with this sector no matter how you slice it.

And if coming off as a know it all because I know simple basic windows commands that have been around since the windows 95 days , that makes me question your pissing contest statements.