Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13, 2014, 06:51 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
This is flat out wrong and completely ridiculous. What you're describing would be a desktop tacked on to iOS or Android.

Windows 8 is an extremely mature and robust desktop/workstation OS with a touchscreen interface and application framework tacked on.

You don't like it? Wonderful. Neither do I. But please stop spreading this complete nonsense.
ahem. What version of IOS or Android is this if you don't mind educating me....

Obviously this is a 100% PC OS and not at all a touch screen designed OS.
Old January 13, 2014, 08:37 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

So the gist of it is - change is bad no matter how you slice it. After a year or so of regurgitating nonsense spread out by the idiot masses, they will take anything and praise it and regurgitate that afterwards. That's what can really hurt an OS - is people who claim they know what they are doing telling even dumber people nonsense. If had a valid key for win 8 I gladly would have jumped to it. Yes it was an adjustment, but after 22 years of of my head in a PC - its something I got used to.
Old January 13, 2014, 09:18 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birk View Post
ahem. What version of IOS or Android is this if you don't mind educating me....

Obviously this is a 100% PC OS and not at all a touch screen designed OS.
You seem to be confusing Windows Phone 8, a smartphone operating system with Windows 8, an x86 desktop/workstation OS built from a codebase that has been in development for over 20 years.
Old January 13, 2014, 09:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

4 seconds to Android 4 seconds to Windows

CES ASUS has a lappy that can switch in 4 seconds.

I have not used Android or WIN 8 / 8.1

This product going to fly off the shelves.
Old January 14, 2014, 06:32 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker View Post
So the gist of it is - change is bad no matter how you slice it. After a year or so of regurgitating nonsense spread out by the idiot masses, they will take anything and praise it and regurgitate that afterwards. That's what can really hurt an OS - is people who claim they know what they are doing telling even dumber people nonsense. If had a valid key for win 8 I gladly would have jumped to it. Yes it was an adjustment, but after 22 years of of my head in a PC - its something I got used to.
What makes you think change for the sake of change is a good thing? I hear ford is coming out with a new car. It will be revolutionary in its driver interface. The accelerator is located where the emergency handbrake was located, the break is where the signal lights were and the gear shift is now where the radio is. They have extensive data to show that these new locations are faster and more efficient than the old. Yeah. Dont see that happening now do you? Change has to be an obvious improvement for everyone or it should be optional and 'opt in' in nature. Thats how the business world works.

Honestly, its one thing to change but make those changes optional and another to change the core interface and make it mandatory. MS has to realize that a OS meant for non-touch enabled devices - ie the desktop and part of the laptop - is not meant for media consumption. Its meant for media creation...and this OS is for consumption not creation. Can you use if for media creation...of course. Just as you could put the gas 'pedal' in the handbrake location. Its just less than optimal.

More to the point MS is a company that is for profit. The professional and home market has spoken - Metro is a failure. People dont want it. All MS has to do is understand that this is not the 90s. Tablets and the such are for casual use. Desktop is for more serious use. All they have to do is make it optional. Want to install it on a tablet/touch enabled interface. Choose option 1 during install. Want to install it a workstation...choose option 2. Option 1 would be Metro and huge ass icons. Option 2 would be a desktop with metro disabled w/ Aero 2.0 enabled. Not that hard. Its an OS. An OS is just a tool. Its not supposed to evoke visceral responses. It should just blend into the background as it IS the background.

Its sad that instead of this...MS are going to bring back the old dual OS BS they tried last time. Professionals will have "Windows 2000 2.0"....and users will have "Windows ME". ME was a failure last time around and it probably will fail this time too. Thus nuking most of the GOOD things that MS stuck in Metro (as its not all bad, in fact its mostly good).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 14, 2014, 10:24 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

That is an utterly absurd analogy. Could you imagine these "techs" and "enthusiasts" during the transition from Win 3.1 to 95. This for the better part boils down to one thing - people don't know how to use their PC aside from basics for the better part, refuse to even try to learn something new, and then cry and bitch about it being bad because they don't know how to use it and tell people who know even less than them its bad. In turn those people being fed nonsense go out and spread it like wildfire. Its evident even in this thread - as one said they are being paid money for building PC's and they shat talked 8 because they themselves admitted they didn't know how to use the OS and gave up after half an hour. So they shit talk it. That's the problem here.

Im not praising 8, im bitching about the rampant ignorance that's infecting this sector.
Old January 14, 2014, 11:00 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

8.1 is great, running it on the home rig and my surface pro2, people need to wake up.

Added bonus is bf4 gets better performance in 8.

Old January 14, 2014, 12:23 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker View Post
That is an utterly absurd analogy. Could you imagine these "techs" and "enthusiasts" during the transition from Win 3.1 to 95. This for the better part boils down to one thing - people don't know how to use their PC aside from basics for the better part, refuse to even try to learn something new, and then cry and bitch about it being bad because they don't know how to use it and tell people who know even less than them its bad. In turn those people being fed nonsense go out and spread it like wildfire. Its evident even in this thread - as one said they are being paid money for building PC's and they shat talked 8 because they themselves admitted they didn't know how to use the OS and gave up after half an hour. So they shit talk it. That's the problem here.

Im not praising 8, im bitching about the rampant ignorance that's infecting this sector.

How so? When 8 landed could you do side by side apps (ie half screen each)? OR was it full screen only?

Could you even do basic things the same way as the old...or were they radically changed from one gen to the next? When people have to GOOGLE on how to do a graceful shutdown...the UI designers have FAILED. Thats not ignorant thats just fact.

Hell for anyone who actually wanted a core feature such as frickin menu layout you were SOL without installing 3rd party apps. Same for left upper corner and upper right corner 'clicking'...and what they do in win 7 vs 8. Dont want a full screen menu on your 27" monitor? To bad. Dont want 3.1 looking UI? Too bad. Dont like big chunky looking icons? To bad. These are UI design failures.

You are claiming rampant ignorance on what it can and can not do. So show me where the 'start' menu layout is in Windows Aint. A layout that has worked for decades. Apologists like you will, will come back and say 'just use the search' for it. Thats not an improvement. That is slower and less efficient. Change has to be justified. As in if you have to retrain to use it the new way had better be more efficient than the older. Lets see you make that case.

For the record am I sayin win 8.1 is shit? No. I am saying its not a big enough improvement to justify the upgrade to it. Nor is the 'new' way of doing things an improvement over the old. Just like having the accelerator in a new place would not make much sense...but could work. After all its just ignorance and stubbornness that keeps us placing the 'gas pedal' in the same location year after year and generation after generation. Hell we NEED to change for change's sake. Peeps should have to live with it and relearn how to drive every time they buy a new car! Anyone who doesn't love the new way must be an idiot or ignorant or both!1111!!111

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 14, 2014, 01:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think a comparison should be made between iOS/Android here; Why is it Android lovers who rave about 'the customizability!' of their phones hate on iOS and being locked in to what APPLE wants, yet when windows gives you App options to 'fix' something you dont like, people are like "ZOMG ******* FAIL"? Isnt this hypocrisy in that regard?

I'm not going to tell everyone to change and that windows 7 is inferior, but they rage against windows 8.1 is unfounded as it was when people went from XP to 7...Fudd Rucker is on the money with his posts here. In a year or two (depending on Windows 9?) People will be asking "why are you on windows 7?"
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old January 14, 2014, 01:47 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

You know how I made due without a start button until I figured out 8? The run command and typed my commands for things I needed. If your a "tech" or "enthusiast" you should know the god damn core of the operating syte, . The core commands haven't changed really in ages.

If you can't navigate and use an OS because you don't know how to use it without a pretty interface or icon serving it to you on a platter - then the OS isn't the issue. Its the user.

FYI - Alt + F4 still works just fine to shut down a PC. Has worked since 3.1 days. Just an example of why this is utter nonsense. If you want to remain obtuse and refuse to even attempt to learn something new , then don't shit talk something because of that. Its not like you have to relearn your OS with every iteration. Up until metro , there hasn't been any real change since 95 in the realm of the windows GUI.

As my previous post - im not praising M$ , im griping about how utter nonsense and ignorance seems to be dictating the direction of things.