Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13, 2014, 05:23 PM
Top Prospect

MS needs to stretching out the release dates, My Win 7 machines are not being upgraded to win 8 and My win 8 machine most likely won't be upgraded to win 9.
Old January 13, 2014, 05:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseWilson View Post
MS needs to stretching out the release dates, My Win 7 machines are not being upgraded to win 8 and My win 8 machine most likely won't be upgraded to win 9.
Microsoft has ALWAYS done a 2-3 year stint for its OS releases. XP was the odd one of a 7 year release.
Old January 13, 2014, 05:36 PM
MVP

Microsoft moves from short twitch to rapid release at Build 2013 | Microsoft - CNET News
Old January 13, 2014, 05:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birk View Post
You can? Can I have it so that I literely NEVER see the Apps/"Start"(used lightly), Metro UI appears for even a minute?

Can you show me how to get the Start menu to not be a full screen apps UI but actually a windows 7 style nested menu system?

The stuff I saw in that video was about a full screen apps UI when you click where a start MENU should be, and about nesting metro apps allover your screen like they're worth looking at?....

Please show us how to 100% disable any occurrence of the Metro UI from windows 8.
I understand we all use OS's differently, but bro, if you cant stand a full screen 'Start Menu' for the 5 seconds you use it (and thats probably being generous?) ...well, hey. Keep Windows 7.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old January 13, 2014, 05:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
I understand we all use OS's differently, but bro, if you cant stand a full screen 'Start Menu' for the 5 seconds you use it (and thats probably being generous?) ...well, hey. Keep Windows 7.
That 5 seconds over the course of a entire day will consume a lot of time. I have said it before perhaps 8 is ok for some people but people who actually want to be productive are not when using 8.
Old January 13, 2014, 06:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
That 5 seconds over the course of a entire day will consume a lot of time. I have said it before perhaps 8 is ok for some people but people who actually want to be productive are not when using 8.
Sorry, I'm still waiting for your citation about my rants of win 8 being superior prior to this thread, or did you just want to dodge that bullshit?

And if that 2.35 seconds of fullscreen while searching the start menu in either Win7 or Win8 is interfering with your productivity, I would also love some [Citation Needed] for that too. I didnt realize you could click in two places at once in either OS
Quote:
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old January 13, 2014, 06:06 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Exactly, I spend close to 14 hours a day infront of my PC working. I don't want to see a tablet screen in front of me when I'm trying to use a PC. 100% of everything that was built for windows 8 in terms of "touch screen friendly" is useless for desktop use.

This is a touch screen centeric OS that had PC compatibility added after the fact. That is unacceptable and the fact that people are like "It works exactly like windows 7 EXCEPT......" yea no. also this whole thing about them having added a start MENU ? no. they added a circle on the taskbar that brings up a metro app with program names on it. No thanks.
Old January 13, 2014, 06:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Sorry, I'm still waiting for your citation about my rants of win 8 being superior prior to this thread, or did you just want to dodge that bullshit?

And if that 2.35 seconds of fullscreen while searching the start menu in either Win7 or Win8 is interfering with your productivity, I would also love some [Citation Needed] for that too. I didnt realize you could click in two places at once in either OS
I apologize if it wasn't you. I thought it was would go off on rants about Windows 8.

I do the majority of my work off the start menu, the other large part through "My Computer" and another part through icons on the desktop.

I need things EASILY and quickly accesible as I don't want to have to think about what I'm doing or having to look at some large gaudy and ugly start menu with massive icons.

Heck even a guy I work with tried to find the area in Windows 7 to add a user as an administrator in 8 and he almost gave up.

Things between the two OS's are not similiar enough to make it warranted for a desktop.

Yes there was a big change from Windows XP to Vista and it was also soley a reason why Vista failed compared to 7. Even tho Vista is similar GUI wise to 7 .. 7 changed quite a few things making it easier to find.

Then Windows 8 came out and it was completely different again and people don't like change that fast.
Old January 13, 2014, 06:20 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birk View Post
This is a touch screen centeric OS that had PC compatibility added after the fact.
This is flat out wrong and completely ridiculous. What you're describing would be a desktop tacked on to iOS or Android.

Windows 8 is an extremely mature and robust desktop/workstation OS with a touchscreen interface and application framework tacked on.

You don't like it? Wonderful. Neither do I. But please stop spreading this complete nonsense.
Old January 13, 2014, 06:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
This is flat out wrong and completely ridiculous. What you're describing would be a desktop tacked on to iOS or Android.

Windows 8 is an extremely mature and robust desktop/workstation OS with a touchscreen interface and application framework tacked on.

You don't like it? Wonderful. Neither do I. But please stop spreading this complete nonsense.
I love this guy.
Quote:
Closed Thread