Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13, 2014, 02:13 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

In the past 12 months I've built 4 systems for clients and all of them requested windows 7.
Old January 13, 2014, 02:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
This isn't a surprise. It's part of Microsoft's rapid release cycle which was announced quite some time ago.

It's funny how inverse this issue is regarded by industry analysts vs opinions expressed here. No one attributes the desktop PC sales crisis with touch features in Windows 8. That is an absurd technocentric view. The consensus is that Microsoft hasn't done enough to make Windows fully touch friendly and affordable.

This is because consumers are buying touch devices instead of conventional PCs. Not because they're boycotting Windows 8.x like some here like to imagine. Only those living under rocks can deny we're in the midst of a paradigm shift. Casual users are abandoning general purpose computing. It is in this space where Microsoft needs Windows 9 to succeed to remain relevant with these consumers.

There is no reason devices cannot support both touch and desktop apps. As small devices like phones become more powerful, we will surely see some form of desktop support as standard. It will be effortless for them to provide the most popular desktop functions when docked with a keyboard, mouse and display.
I needed to point this out. They are not abandoning it at all. Personal Computing is evolving, they are just changing how they use technology as a whole. Its not being abandoned, the use case is the same, just being form factor of the device has changed/evolved.

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old January 13, 2014, 02:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
Casual users are abandoning general purpose computing. It is in this space where Microsoft needs Windows 9 to succeed to remain relevant with these consumers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlef View Post
I needed to point this out. They are not abandoning it at all. Personal Computing is evolving, they are just changing how they use technology as a whole. Its not being abandoned, the use case is the same, just being form factor of the device has changed/evolved.
I'd argue that the casual user never really should have been part of the desktop market, it's just that tech did not exist at the time to serve their needs.

Desktop/Business and casual use are two completely different beasts, and IMO need two completely different OS's. That's not to say that file formats shouldn't be the same between the two so that they can share info, but unless Microsoft is willing to make metro into a user selectable skin over top of the standard desktop OS the two are mostly incompatible.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 13, 2014, 02:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Seriously. Why are people crying afoul of win8. If you're not a retard it acts the exact same as windows 7, and operates much more effectively on modern hardware.

This isnt ******* vista we're talking about here. Change it to operate ala windows 7 and the system is far superior to windows 7. Hyperbole, thats what the haters are breeding.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old January 13, 2014, 02:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Seriously. Why are people crying afoul of win8. If you're not a retard it acts the exact same as windows 7, and operates much more effectively on modern hardware.

This isnt ******* vista we're talking about here. Change it to operate ala windows 7 and the system is far superior to windows 7. Hyperbole, thats what the haters are breeding.
Every time this sort of thread surfaces you always have to come in here and throw your rant about how 8 is so superior.

Sure perhaps the backend is but the GUI is not.

If they can implement the nice things in the backend of 8 into a nice gui like 7 for 9 it would be awesome.
Old January 13, 2014, 02:59 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:

Please tell me how to never have to deal with touch screen Metro UI ever and please tell me why it required googling for me to be able to locate windows update? have to go to some slid out bar that the tutorial even told me to use my finger to pull over (or you can use your mouse) and then go to some tiny "change PC crap" or somethign in the corner to find it. In windows 7 its in the start menu, easy to find. Even while on the "start menu (wtf metro UI bullshit) and started typing in windows update and nothing at all showed up.

If you can show me how to make it run exactly like windows 7 without all the touch screen shit ever showing up i'd gladly try again despite last nights crap.
Old January 13, 2014, 03:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

Far superior in what way(s)? Other than quicker boot to desktop times I've yet to see much written about the actual benefits.

I'm currently using it on two different PC's and while I don't mind navigating around under win 8.1, I still absolutely detest using 8.0 while getting it to the point that it will accept the 8.1 upgrade.

And on a separate note... as a person who's know to dislike win 8, I don't call folks who like it names, and would appreciate the same respect to be returned.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 13, 2014, 03:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Every time this sort of thread surfaces you always have to come in here and throw your rant about how 8 is so superior.

Sure perhaps the backend is but the GUI is not.

If they can implement the nice things in the backend of 8 into a nice gui like 7 for 9 it would be awesome.
Considering I just switched recently, and have never commented about this before; [Citation Needed].

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birk View Post
Please tell me how to never have to deal with touch screen Metro UI ever and please tell me why it required googling for me to be able to locate windows update? have to go to some slid out bar that the tutorial even told me to use my finger to pull over (or you can use your mouse) and then go to some tiny "change PC crap" or somethign in the corner to find it. In windows 7 its in the start menu, easy to find. Even while on the "start menu (wtf metro UI bullshit) and started typing in windows update and nothing at all showed up.

If you can show me how to make it run exactly like windows 7 without all the touch screen shit ever showing up i'd gladly try again despite last nights crap.
The update to 8.1 solves all these issues. Right click the task bar on the desktop, click properties, navigation tab and select the option to kick you to desktop on startup. Ive yet to have to use any of the metro options other then hitting the windows key to 'search' (which by the way solves your windows update issue, by simply searching for 'windows update').

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Far superior in what way(s)? Other than quicker boot to desktop times I've yet to see much written about the actual benefits.

I'm currently using it on two different PC's and while I don't mind navigating around under win 8.1, I still absolutely detest using 8.0 while getting it to the point that it will accept the 8.1 upgrade.

And on a separate note... as a person who's know to dislike win 8, I don't call folks who like it names, and would appreciate the same respect to be returned.
First, my apologies for the name calling slip. You know I'm usually better then that SSwilson.

Some of the thing I like better (outside of the aformentioned boot time being ridiculously better) is SSD drive encryption native in OS.

Skydrive support for backups of pictures/settings/user accounts (assuming you're not a tin foil hatter ).
The ability to pause data transfers, faster transfers, as well as a better accuracy in times and speeds.
Multi Monitor support for power-users is much more customizable with multiple start menus, or task bars, etc. You're only limited by how you want to set it up.
The Apps Screen: This is your 'start' menu, if you must have that sort of thing. I simply use the search function. User preference is the only thing here!
The charms menu: This thing is really the rip-off of OSX's task bar thingy that hides itself, but is designed for quick launch.

To Sum up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=krWrfuaUJOQ
And this is with the preview build.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND WATCHING THE VIDEO.

Here is the article he references; Windows 8.1 Desktop review: It?s finally safe to upgrade from Windows 7, folks (updated with video) | ExtremeTech

I hope this demystifies some of the Windows 8 'hate'

I really feel most of the arguments are about the resistance to change. I too do not like the 'forced' touch screen user experience, but you can mitigate that largely with some simple settings changes.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old January 13, 2014, 03:34 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

When i went to the "start" menu which is a stretch to even call it that, I saw Metro UI, I started typing and even got as far as typing "Windows Update" and there was nothing found. so sorry you didn't solve either of my issues.
Old January 13, 2014, 03:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Skydrive support for backups of pictures/settings/user accounts (assuming you're not a tin foil hatter ).
The ability to pause data transfers, faster transfers, as well as a better accuracy in times and speeds.
Multi Monitor support for power-users is much more customizable with multiple start menus, or task bars, etc. You're only limited by how you want to set it up.
The Apps Screen: This is your 'start' menu, if you must have that sort of thing. I simply use the search function. User preference is the only thing here!
The charms menu: This thing is really the rip-off of OSX's task bar thingy that hides itself, but is designed for quick launch.

- Heh.. I don't consider myself a tin foil hatter on the subject, but no... cloud computing is not something I consider to be a benefit until such time as they make a legally binding statement ensuring that none of my cloud storage is either in, or travels through the US.

- Pausing data transfers is cool, and useful, I'll give you that.

- Multi-monitor / taskbar support is also useful but I'm not willing to give up my start button for it.

- More intuitive access to the full apps screen in 8.1 is a welcome improvement, but no, sorry it's not a replacement for the nested start menu. (And no... the only thing I things I've ever searched for are command line executables... ;) ).

- The only thing the charms menu has ever done for me is p' me off when it's popped up without my requesting it. :)

Most of the "improvements" you've suggested are based on metro, and I'm sorry, but I just don't see that it's in any way an improvement on a desktop system. 8.1 has made using the OS bearable, but again, I don't see any value added to my desktop experience at all.

Closed Thread