Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 31, 2014, 11:00 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylesj View Post
i'm just curious when and what are gonna drop these prices back to normal.
I think its going to take time for prices to drop.
I am not sure if MAP pricing cahnges for stores when the demand changed. And their costing may have increased as well. If their cost did increase, I wouldn't expect a drop in the AMD stuff for sometime.

A week ago my Canadian supplier was 'willing' to start selling me cards sub $400 again compared to the $420+ he wanted. In the end, some of us went direct into Malaysia for cards during the boom and did well.

Either way, even as I start to offload my own rigs I know I will be eating it on some cards if not all.
Old May 3, 2014, 02:26 PM
Rookie

Have a 7970 in hand,looking to upgrade but these prices...
Old May 3, 2014, 02:47 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike8383 View Post
Have a 7970 in hand,looking to upgrade but these prices...
Not because of mining. Check Kijiji. Former miners can't seem to dump GPUs fast enough. Even BNIB in some cases.
Old May 3, 2014, 03:04 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
Not because of mining. Check Kijiji. Former miners can't seem to dump GPUs fast enough. Even BNIB in some cases.
Is it becoz of the stronger dollars then?
Old May 3, 2014, 03:55 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike8383 View Post
Is it becoz of the stronger dollars then?
The projected value of the Canadian dollar is a factor. Not only is it presently down, but many analysts expect it to drop a bit further by the end of the year.

Another factor is competition from elsewhere in consumer electronics, including the new consoles. This includes production facilities and components.

We benefit from US volume discounts because of proximity, but it's still cheaper to ship and sell things there due to population density and market size. When fuel and other energy costs go up, it hits us harder.

IMO, regional economic disparities are also to blame. Young men in Alberta probably care less about paying $50 more for a console or video card than those in Ontario -- generally speaking.
Old May 3, 2014, 09:16 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
The projected value of the Canadian dollar is a factor. Not only is it presently down, but many analysts expect it to drop a bit further by the end of the year.

Another factor is competition from elsewhere in consumer electronics, including the new consoles. This includes production facilities and components.

We benefit from US volume discounts because of proximity, but it's still cheaper to ship and sell things there due to population density and market size. When fuel and other energy costs go up, it hits us harder.

IMO, regional economic disparities are also to blame. Young men in Alberta probably care less about paying $50 more for a console or video card than those in Ontario -- generally speaking.
Thank you! very great insight!