Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 30, 2013, 11:10 PM
Top Prospect

Something something Intel Monopoly something price guaging etc. This Haswell "refresh" sounds like a money milking load of BS.

A friend of mine is still on the first-gen C2D, trying to get a 2500k. The dilemma is that the POS has been stagnant in price for the last 3 friggin years because Intel is releasing stagnant garbage after garbage on each of their BS ticks and tocks. One would expect the 2500k to be worth less than $100 by now.

And to think I was an Intel fanboy back with x58... either they're losing their game and can't beat their own Sandy bridge, or they've really been showing their greedy colours these past few years. I don't know which is worse.
Old December 1, 2013, 03:02 AM
Allstar

Why would a 2500K be priced at $100? It may be worth a $100 but for sure no retailer will sell it for $100. They purchased their inventory at the whatever price their supplier charged them, to sell them below cost is just nonsense. Of course selling them at or near original MSRP is also silly. I would of priced it as a percentage in terms of performance to the newest CPU. For example, SB should be 10% cheaper than IV and IV should be 15% cheaper than Haswell. The "stagnant" you mentioned is probably because they are starting to hit the wall on silicon and hitting diminishing return on die shrink. Or you're right, with AMD so far out of the picture, they can afford to delay releasing whatever is in their R&D lab to extend their profitability periods.
Old December 1, 2013, 03:15 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Greedy? Maybe you're greedy for wanting it cheap!

Old February 6, 2014, 04:48 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Big deal..! All Intel CPU's beyond Sandybridge are just little IPC/TDP improvements..
Biggest imrpovement has to be their iGPU performance, but chances are, very few need it, especially
with people with i5's/i7's who just game.
Old February 7, 2014, 01:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfern View Post
probably best to wait till skylake to upgrade. to be honest even sandy bridge works very well today, good overclocker too
In some cases sandy bridge is even better once you overclock it to the max. I wouldn't consider IVB or Haswell to be victories over sandy bridge in anything other than power consumption. Overall power is very similar when overclocked.
Old February 22, 2014, 07:37 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Here's some good news, there isn't a new socket needed for the refreshed Hashwell, since according to MSI, their Intel 8 Mobo's will support the refreshed processors with a BIOS update.

All MSI Intel 8 series motherboards will support next-generation Haswell processors

The article also showed all the new processor model numbers and said that they should be released in the early 2nd quarter along with their Intel 9 Series Chipset, which shouldn't it be around April-May? If so then it should be interesting.