Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/)
-   -   gtx 770 = rebadged gtx 680 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/61207-gtx-770-rebadged-gtx-680-a.html)

Masteroderus May 12, 2013 08:02 PM

gtx 770 = rebadged gtx 680

The Tek 0057: Leaked Z87 Motherboards & GTX 700 Series Info | Tek Syndicate

Hold off on buying a new gtx 680!

Anyone else excited? I think i'm going to sell 3 video cards to buy a 770.

MARSTG May 13, 2013 08:09 AM

the really interesting news start from min 29, rest is just uninteresting crap

Dragonstongue May 13, 2013 08:21 AM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 700 Series Coming This May | techPowerUp

Well if it is a "rebrand" they are sunk this round(why would you pay full price for a "rebrand" might as well just buy current stuff huh) if it is a "tweak" with the top part being better then the current 680 they are doing ok, but they are most certainly not seeming to care much about keeping prices reasonable, I have seen $500+ to $780 quoted for the top part(780) as it will be Titan-esque, we shall see, AMD VI Radeon look like they will be wicked

AMD Radeon HD 9970 (Volcanic Islands) GPU Details Emerge - 3D Tech News and Pixel Hacking - Geeks3D.com
"The 20nm chip has 4,096 Stream Processors, four geometry engines, 16 SPUs (serial processor units), 256 TMUs, 64 ROPs and a GDDR5 interface of 512 bits." Don't forget VI will also be and is a major optimization for GCN and the whole lineup top to bottom is getting a performance bump as in x6x0 will now be x7x0 performance(up 1-2 levels vs older gen last I heard)

Squeetard May 13, 2013 08:31 AM

I'm thinking it will be time for my first full new build in years with the haswell/780 releases this quarter.

AkG May 13, 2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonstongue (Post 708592)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 700 Series Coming This May | techPowerUp

Well if it is a "rebrand" they are sunk this round(why would you pay full price for a "rebrand" might as well just buy current stuff huh) if it is a "tweak" with the top part being better then the current 680 they are doing ok, but they are most certainly not seeming to care much about keeping prices reasonable, I have seen $500+ to $780 quoted for the top part(780) as it will be Titan-esque, we shall see, AMD VI Radeon look like they will be wicked

AMD Radeon HD 9970 (Volcanic Islands) GPU Details Emerge - 3D Tech News and Pixel Hacking - Geeks3D.com
"The 20nm chip has 4,096 Stream Processors, four geometry engines, 16 SPUs (serial processor units), 256 TMUs, 64 ROPs and a GDDR5 interface of 512 bits." Don't forget VI will also be and is a major optimization for GCN and the whole lineup top to bottom is getting a performance bump as in x6x0 will now be x7x0 performance(up 1-2 levels vs older gen last I heard)

Fanboi much? /rolleyes

Every gens best - from both camps- is usually about the same as the 2nd teir of the next gen. Sometimes its more like 2 steps down (eg 580 -> 660TI) but thats par for the course. Basically BOTH camps are not going for the knock-outs anymore, rather the simple refinement tick-tock schedule is what is happening.

Considering we have almost no idea what has been done to the architecture...saying its just a rebadge is catering to the lowest denominator fanobi. Hell peeps said the 5 series was nothing but a rebadge of the 4 series. YET the lower power consumption, higher performance proved that to be a VERY simplistic view.

IMHO NV needs to go with a wider bus and use more memory. Do that plus a 15-25% improvement and it would a be a winner. AMD needs to get power consumption under control and by extension NOISE levels. Do that and they have a winner. In other words...both camps have the potential for some nice kit but all this early ASSumtions is nothing but 'jowhorenalism' (or 'yellow kid journalism' as it used to be called) at its worst for page clicks.

Masteroderus May 13, 2013 03:17 PM

I say rebadge because it's a GK104 chip. Same chip is the same chip!

EDIT: And a cheap gtx680 will still be a thing of awesomeness in 2014! :biggrin:

AkG May 13, 2013 04:07 PM

Well actually we dont KNOW its going to be a 104 and not 110. We dont know if the architecture has been tweaked. We dont know jack right now. What we think we know is the cooler will be a Titan cooler....and thats about it. The rest is just certain websites page whoring...and it really disgusts me when any site does this. That crap belong on BS sites like semiaccurate and the like.

IITSChiefII May 13, 2013 04:10 PM

They appear to be the same. Apparently people are flashing their GTX 680ís to GTX 770ís for the past few hours. The guy who posted the procedure claims 5-7% performance boost

http://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/1e8u6i/flash_your_geforce_gtx_680_to_the_unreleased_gtx/

ShinraCorp May 13, 2013 05:30 PM

Meh I just ordered a GTX 670 since it's exactly like a 680 just disabled a section off is all and shaving off 25$ Usually I'm on AMD side of the GPU thing since, my dark days with NVIDIA cards but I'll try them again. To be frankly honest I don't see a reason to upgrade my CPU or GPU for another 4-5 years. It's not a huge gain and even then it's not like I can't run any games on ULTRA settings or anything.

moocow May 14, 2013 11:00 AM

Tech Power Up is reporting that BIOS is just a modified 680 BIOS and not an actual 770 BIOS.

GeForce GTX 680 Can Be Flashed to GTX 770? | techPowerUp