Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 31, 2013, 08:28 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

There is only one clear choice in the market right now. nVidia.
Period.
One reason beyond all others.
Lightboost.
Blur free motion in games. If you haven't tried it you do not know what you are missing. If you try it you will never ever go back.
I laugh at all you 60hz gamers and your silly arguments.
Old May 31, 2013, 08:38 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I will agree with ya on that Squee...once they get 120Hz @ 1440P working. I laugh at all you 1080P gamers and your silly arguments :P (j/k)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 31, 2013, 08:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
I will agree with ya on that Squee...once they get 120Hz @ 1440P working. I laugh at all you 1080P gamers and your silly arguments :P (j/k)
We all cant be rich like you AkG haha :P I'll trade you my 770 for your 1440P 120Hz display though :P
Old May 31, 2013, 08:42 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
There is only one clear choice in the market right now. nVidia.
Period.
One reason beyond all others.
Lightboost.
Blur free motion in games. If you haven't tried it you do not know what you are missing. If you try it you will never ever go back.
I laugh at all you 60hz gamers and your silly arguments.
Although this is OT. It is possible to get Lightboost working on an AMD card w/ a bit of trickery. Use any Nvidia card to enable Lightboost. Shut down computer. Install AMD card. Lightboost should still be enabled on the display.
Old May 31, 2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Although this is OT. It is possible to get Lightboost working on an AMD card w/ a bit of trickery. Use any Nvidia card to enable Lightboost. Shut down computer. Install AMD card. Lightboost should still be enabled on the display.
Sweet! Now THAT is awesome! Glad to hear it....hopefully NV doesnt bork it via mandatory 'updates'.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 31, 2013, 08:51 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I gotta admit, I'd love to own a 2560x1600/1440 with a 120Hz!
Old May 31, 2013, 09:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I said you were wrong to think the 770 is a 680 rebadge. This is called reading the full sentence and is very important to understanding an idea or concept being conveyed.

Show me a 680 with 7K stock - ie not after the fact OC'ed - ram. No cant do it? Show me a stock 680 on the 680 launch day that cost 4 bills. No? Cant do it. Then they are different. This is the concept I am conveying to you.
My apologies, the 770 is a 680 with a new coat of paint and more cup holders.

7K ram speed? It makes NO difference. Maybe 1-2% at best, which is more of a statistical anomaly and, frankly, 2% in FPS is the difference between 30 and 30.6... aka nothing.

There would have been no difference between cutting the price of the 680 by $50 (because it was overpriced to begin with) and bumping the clock speed by 50 or, lets say 55 mhz (to make up for the whole 1% difference the ram speed makes of course). Now you have an identical card to the 770, what I would actually call "what the 680 should have been launched as".

Is this minor change worth a whole SERIES jump? Not in my mind! Call it a GTX685 or GTX680+, that I am absolutely fine with. Calling it a 770 is a ploy to get people to think "It's a new series! Must be better."

Quote:
IE the message I was conveying in that sentence is (I know another sentence and another idea all together! It can get confusing!!!1111): Listening to fanbois gets tiresome. You have an ulterior motive and calling NV on 'rebadging' and NOT calling AMD on their similar moves show what it is: you are a Fanboi. Where was your indignation when the 7970 GHz edition was released? I called it a good card and have purchased them for customer builds. I buy both AMD and NV. I will buy the 770s. I wont be buying more 7970GHz'ers though as they are no longer a good deal. When AMDs new kit comes out and proves itself....yup I will used them in builds to.
You sound like more of a fanboi than me. Is this like homophobia or something? Those who deny they are hate the most... What makes me a fanboi. Just because I don't like Nvidia's current product? My bad for having a goddamn opinion I'm allowed to have an opinion without instantly becoming a fanboi. My opinion is AMD did a much, much better job at the $400-450 price range this generation than Nvidia.

7970GHZ is much, much different because it was sold as just that: a 7970 with a boost. Is the 770 called a 680+? No, I don't think so. AMD did the more "honest" thing (in my opinion, of course) with the 7970GHZ, and Nvidia should stick with what it used to do like GTX285 and GTX650 Ti Boost (although that naming gets confusing ). My _opinion_ is that Nvidia is trying to convince buyers the 770 is different than the 680, even though it really isn't that much at all. Even the GTX285 was a MUCH bigger improvement than this 770...

I think you're getting awfully butthurt about me just expressing what I think about these cards. What happened to "I hope Nvidia doesn't just rebrand their cards"? Now all the sudden it's "Rehashing is ok"? Don't you want NEW cards? I know I do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
How is this an example of a money-grab? All of the facts are available for a consumer to make an educated purchase decision. There is no deceit. What matters is the value [practical, performance, features, benefits] one gets for the price paid, and this has inarguably improved on the 770 vs the 670.

Text communications results in all kinds of miscommunications, but I have to say that you're coming off as inexplicably emotional about a topic that should not be.
Thanks, I'm the emotional one for sure AKG is just acting rational and calm.

Sure, the facts are available to the consumer, but that doesn't really justify anything, does it? What if I was Nvidia and I made an identical card to a current one, and called it the "Super" edition. It's the exact same card, but now Nv chargse say... $100 more. And they market it based on performance results they achieved by using newer drivers and say "it's 15% faster! look at these benches!". Now, the consumer can do a quick google search and see it is an identical card. Does that mean it's not deceptive to have the "super" edition?

That's an extreme example, but the point is this: It's misleading to label an almost identical card as a "series leap". Buyers will expect the difference they had from Fermi to Kepler, which doesn't exist.

I just don't understand how everyone considers the card such a giant leap: It's the same thing as a GTX680 price cut. That's just how I feel about it. And launching it as a new series is attempting to mislead consumers. I would rather have no 7xx series and instead price cuts and GTX6x5's and a Titan Lite than what Nvidia is doing, and that's just my opinion, and I just am expressing what I think, and I do not expect anyone to take my opinion as "right". It's just what I think, plain and simple.

EDIT: And to be very clear about the RAM speed, here is some evidence.

A difference of 1% moving from 1920x1080 to 2560x1600, where RAM makes more of a difference. The RAM speed doesn't do shit, the core boost does.

Last edited by Sushi Warrior; May 31, 2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old May 31, 2013, 09:34 AM

Whatever you have to tell yourself mate. Whatever you got to tell yourself.

Personally Im laughing my ass off at fanbois like you. You spent what...the past HOUR of your life researching why you are 'right'. ROFL, that is just sad....especially when one phrase nullifies it: Confirmation Bias. Took me 10 seconds...and will take you another hour of your life to further prove why I am 'wrong'.

God I love fanbois sometimes...they are so entertaining.

Old May 31, 2013, 09:36 AM
MVP

Sushi,

Your 'extreme' example isn't even close to what happened here. It is a product refresh based on an existing tech. It is both faster than the product it is replacing (670) and the product that it is supposedly identical to (680). It is being launched at the same price point as the point in the product line-up that it is replacing, and less expensive than the 680.

What is the worst case scenario for an uneducated consumer? Let's say someone makes a purchase decision based entirely on model names, how are they being mislead? Is the 770 faster than a 670 and slower than a 780? Yes. A consumer can make a logical decision with no technical specifications at all.

You must have been extremely pissed with AMD when the numbering scheme was logically altered between the 5xxx and 6xxx line.
Old May 31, 2013, 09:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I've had enough of this. Thread closed.
Closed Thread