Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 24, 2013, 04:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trodas View Post
Well, educate yourself!
Yeah, I did search and read about it. Seems like a lot of game devs and Futuremark people are/were on board with this scheme. What to do? No one seems willing to call them on it.
Old September 24, 2013, 04:32 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Remember this word: Mantle.

It'll supposedly be a game changer.
Old September 24, 2013, 04:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Heh, I'm not sure the reference to extreme heat/pressure is a good thing (TM).

Hope all is well for you Sky. Have a great time buddy!
Old September 25, 2013, 01:19 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Red face

Delavan -
Quote:
I'd like to score 4GB cards...
I did not see the point of having so much memory on videocard. Most of the time it will be used like 5% or 10% of it? There are recently some czech benchmark that compared how the more memory (and a bit higher clocked Sapphire) card compare to one that has less videomemory.

Test Sapphire Radeon HD 7790 2GB OC - Recenze

So they are comparing a Sapphire Radeon HD 7790 OC 2GB to MSI R7790-1GD5 - in other words, 2G videoram to 1G of videoram. And you does not have to know Czech or use Google translator to understand this result:

Test Sapphire Radeon HD 7790 2GB OC - Crysis 2 (DX11) | Diit

To put it short, except a Ultra settings (probably due to the extreme level of tesselation flying around) where the cards are even, the MSI was actually FASTER in all tests. Yes, by one frame only, but it was faster with "only" 1G of videomemory compared to the 2G of memory.

And not only that - the Sapphire card was OC a bit:
Sapphire - core: 1050MHz, videoram: 6.4GHz
MSI - core: 1000MHz, videoram: 6.0GHz

So, in real gaming scenario, a higher clocked card with 2G of ram is slower, that 1G card...
They commended it this way:

Quote:
A hned na úvod první paradox. Výkon je velmi nepatrně nižší než u 1GB HD 7790 s referenčními takty (MSI). Opakovali jsme ta měření 3×, pokaždé se stejným výsledkem. Měřeno na stejných ovladačích, ve stejný týden. Vysvětlením je buď nějaká paranormální síla, PEBKAC, nebo prostě míra tolerance přesnosti měření.
Quote:
And right at the start we have first paradox. The speed it slightly lower that with 1GB HD 7790 with reference clocks (MSI). We repeated the measuring there times, each time with same result. We measured at the same drivers, in the same weekend. Explaination for this could be either some paranormal force, PEBKAC or just the measuring tolerance.
It is good to note, that results in Stalker: Call of Pripyat (DX11) are 21.25 vs 21.75 fps at maximum settings FOR the 2G Sapphire (66.25 vs 68.75 at middle settings for Sapphire) and one (hi setting) and two frames (56 to 58) gained on Deus Ex 3 (DX11 + teselace) test. Also one frame is gained on Need for Speed Shift 2 Unleashed, 2560×1440 test - 31 to 32fps.

So, as you can see, even with "low memory" videocard, uping the memory size to 2x could not yield anything significant at all. I would be inclined to say that everything is well into the error tolerance of measuring and the Crysis 2 example just fuel the speculations about what the hell the game do on AMD cards. By all means, the 50MHz on the core (this is minimal) and more importantly the 400MHz on the rams gotta show up somewhere, not to mention double the size of the ram.
But it is not showing anywhere, therefore either:
- the Sapphire used worser timings of the rams that MSI, hence the slow-down
(but this is disproved by the little yet measurable speed-up of other games, where the results are consistent)
- Crysis 2 engine purposedfully slown things down when detecting more ram on AMD by doing something bad
(for the precedent with the tesselation and with all the cheats before I think this would be the best bet)

Yet all it all, no performance gain from 1G to 2G (as all these gains can be attributed to the slightly higher clocks). So what good 4G could be for? Sure thing, some hugry games would take them gladly in the future, but ATM not even FarCry 3 or BF4 is IMHO going to benefit from the 4G of videoram.
While they sure will benefit from each Mhz UP for the CPU/GPU/ram/videoram clocks.

Delavan -
Quote:
BF4 benchies will be MY milestone to pick my next upgrade!
I liked playing BF2, oh, well, good times Now I just like to have a AGP card working in AGP regime and not falling back to PCI one All I can say on BF4 is just "wow"... Watching some of the game videos (albeit I have to watch them in low-res because of the card/mobo troubles) and they are amazing to say at least. The Siege of Shanghai was jaw dropping - traping the tank by shooting the support culum? Many things are destructable? Oh my...

Last edited by trodas; September 25, 2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old September 25, 2013, 01:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Just hope it's not as big, hot or load as a volcano once it ramps up...

Trodas:
Totally depends on the games, res, detail level, if you use custom textures etc etc.. my Vram goes from 1.2GB to 2.2 pretty easily in the same game (@1440 res)

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"

Last edited by Dzzope; September 25, 2013 at 01:25 AM.
Old September 25, 2013, 02:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

That is correct. Also, in general the more ram you stuff on a board the looser the timings. And in some cases the slower the ram is. It used to be a much bigger advantage than that years ago. I saw similar tests where another card of the same type could be as much as 10 FPS slower than the one with half as much ram.

The kicker (as I later learned) was that the card that had more ram had a much longer shelf life due to the fact it had more ram. Yes, I saved a buck by going 256Mb's rather than 512. Was it worth it? Not for me. The amount of ram was never intended to speed up the GPU. Rather, enable higher resolutions and textures.

Nothing has changed, though, the new direction the Xbox is taking with regards to memory usage and textures may prove interesting. Only time will tell. Until then though, I would recommend as much ram as possible withing reason of course. If your GPU is not capable of running those extremes the extra memory probably won't do you much good.

For example, I wouldn't recommend going over 2 GB's on anything less than a 7970 (preferably two). or 670 in SLI running 3D or extreme resolutions. Basically, if your GPU(s) won't run 30+ FPS in a given scenario the amount of ram won't do you squat.
Old September 25, 2013, 10:15 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Remember guys: Live Stream in a few hours!
Old September 25, 2013, 10:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Alas...I'm at work...so no live streaming for me..

Wait...I can stream from my phone YES! I am saved!

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old September 25, 2013, 10:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Remember this word: Mantle.

It'll supposedly be a game changer.
Mantle?

Without breaking NDA can you elaborate?

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old September 25, 2013, 10:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If he could say more he would.

Live stream on AMD's Youtube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/amd 3PM Eastern, 12PM Pacific
Closed Thread