Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 23, 2013, 09:16 AM
Top Prospect

two links that might help wait for anther day or two.

Leaked pic of the new card
http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/dic...awaii_gpu.html

Specs
http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/amd...fications.html
Old September 23, 2013, 12:05 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
might be fake, as always in these "leaks"...
True. But in this case, the guy clearly have the card in hand and also these tests and images are retracted, witch in end usually mean that they are genuine. Also they did not promised anything extraordinary - just Titan got to go from the king's place now. And it was about the time... :)

...sadly not in all the games. Mainly the Crysis 3 is a disapointment. Just notch above Titan, pfff... Maybe another river of invisible tesselated oceans are there?!
Old September 23, 2013, 12:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'll wait and see if the price I got my 780's at was worth it this week it seems.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old September 23, 2013, 03:34 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I hope this series is game changer. I can't wait to see the cards and benchmarks!
Old September 23, 2013, 07:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

Trodas,

I'm following your posts for a few weeks now. You seems to be a real good "electronics" technician, reference your posts on components/capacitors and such...good to have around!

Honestly, I had a few ATI/AMD cards throughout the years:
-ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP 4mo + 4mo sodimm upgrade (thru slot)
-ATI X800 PRO AGP 8mo
-XFX HD 5870 1GB reference model (a sexy card to say the least), althought a little lacking compare to nVIDIA in BF BC2...

But all in all, i feel more "confident" into Geforce Cards....although I not stupid and I wait for the upcoming reviews!!!!

It's up to AMD to convince me to go back to the RED team! And my main concern is BF4 performance on a single 1920 X 1200 monitor for the next 2-3 years...so it's not like I'm asking much
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old September 24, 2013, 12:58 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Delavan - thank you :) I should clarify one thing:
1) I'm not fanboy ot ATI or nVidia at all, I did not care about green or red teams at all. Some cards are good, some excelent and some bad from each side. So the drivers...
2) At one point of life I was betatesting nVidia drivers, but that does not convince me at all, that nVidia is clearly better in any case.
3) I did stop supporting nVidia after the cheating in 3DMark 2003 issue.
4) Since the invisible tesselated ocean issue in Crysis 2 I feel, that AMD need more support and help, because they was not caught doing any of these cheats to "stay on the top"...

However my position about "more support to not cheating AMD" is not blind and I acknowledge that nVidia card hold the current speed crown. Also please note that the tests could be fake and the performance could be different. Both worser and better - we don't know. I took it from there:
Images and Benchmarks of AMD Radeon R9-290X Hawaii Leak Out | PC Perspective
...and in many cases the Titan wins, hands down. Most test allegedly are win by the new AMD R9 290X chip, but all that could be changed when the real cards are send to reviews. Are you ready, SKYMTL ...? :)
Old September 24, 2013, 03:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Damn. I wasn't aware of the cheating in Crysis 2. Guess I'll be sticking with the red team after all.
Old September 24, 2013, 08:22 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Well, educate yourself!

Crysis 2:
Quote:
The guys at Hardware.fr found that enabling tessellation dropped the frame rates on recent Radeons by 31-38%. The competing GeForces only suffered slowdowns of 17-21%.
Unigine Heaven demo + Tom Clancy's HAWX 2:
Quote:
...cranked up the polygon counts in questionable ways that seemed to inflate the geometry processing load without providing a proportionate increase in visual quality. Unnecessary geometric detail slows down all GPUs, of course, but it just so happens to have a much larger effect on DX11-capable AMD Radeons than it does on DX11-capable Nvidia GeForces.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=354647

Quote:
Was pretty poor performance for me until i put this on :- http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=345551 , now it absolutely flys maxed out, same res 1920x1080
Quote:
Not sure if it was answered or not, but, Crysis 2 has a river of invisible tessellation underground, everywhere, which if understood right, is only meant to make the game run better on Nvidia hardware
Quote:
What happened to GPU's compared to back in the days of GeForce 4 Ti 4600, that I read all those years ago that the GPU's would only render items in sight. Not stuff thats hidden away.
Quote:
i was just trying to make this point "There is another possible explanation. Let's connect the dots on that one. As you may know, the two major GPU vendors tend to identify the most promising upcoming PC games and partner up with the publishers and developers of those games in various ways, including offering engineering support and striking co-marketing agreements. As a very high-profile title, Crysis 2 has gotten lots of support from Nvidia in various forms. In and of itself, such support is generally a good thing for PC gaming. In fact, we doubt the DX11 patch for this game would even exist without Nvidia's urging. We know for a fact that folks at Nvidia were disappointed about how the initial Crysis 2 release played out, just as many PC gamers were. The trouble comes when, as sometimes happens, the game developer and GPU maker conspire to add a little special sauce to a game in a way that doesn't benefit the larger PC gaming community. There is precedent for this sort of thing in the DX11 era. Both the Unigine Heaven demo and Tom Clancy's HAWX 2 cranked up the polygon counts in questionable ways that seemed to inflate the geometry processing load without providing a proportionate increase in visual quality.

Unnecessary geometric detail slows down all GPUs, of course, but it just so happens to have a much larger effect on DX11-capable AMD Radeons than it does on DX11-capable Nvidia GeForces. The Fermi architecture underlying all DX11-class GeForce GPUs dedicates more attention (and transistors) to achieving high geometry processing throughput than the competing Radeon GPU architectures. We've seen the effect quite clearly in synthetic tessellation benchmarks. Few games have shown a similar effect, simply because they don't push enough polygons to strain the Radeons' geometry processing rates. However, with all of its geometric detail, the DX11 upgraded version of Crysis 2 now manages to push that envelope. The guys at Hardware.fr found that enabling tessellation dropped the frame rates on recent Radeons by 31-38%. The competing GeForces only suffered slowdowns of 17-21%."
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=4424262
Old September 24, 2013, 09:15 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

^^Which would be fair enough except these games and benches are putting tesselation and high geometry in places like ocean floors and back sides of things that are never seen. Just to favor nvidia cards.
Old September 24, 2013, 10:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

Pretty sad.

I didn't know all that. Thx for sharing.
i can understand for HAWX 2, as this game attemps to provide nice tesselated mountains and stuff...

Well, all I hope is that competition keeps being fierce and that AMD doen't drop the ball like they did with their "high-end CPUs".

Looking or price drops! I'd like to score 4GB cards....if I go AMD I'll do single card. If I go nVIDIA I'll SLI...

BF4 benchies will be MY milestone to pick my next upgrade!
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)

Last edited by Delavan; September 24, 2013 at 10:41 AM.
Closed Thread