Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 13, 2013, 12:34 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Shady Tiger.ca pricing

Anyone else notice the shady pricing tactics of tiger.ca for their daily slasher deals? If you check them out around midnight it will tell you the regular retail price (in brackets) then below that the Tiger price yesterday, then it tells you the sale price. The pricing values are different when they first post the add than later on after they start the sale. Sometimes the listed prices change as well as the sale price to make the deal look more appetizing.

So for instance today its the Vector SSD 256GB it stated

stated retail price 229.99 as of 11:30pm (CHANGED TO $333.99 on 2/13/2013)
tiger yesterday 269.99
slasher deal price 249.99 ($20 off)

so for their slasher deal they mark up the price of the SSD to 269 then take $20 off? I remember working for a major retailer that was caught doing these price manipulations for sale events and when people found out they were NOT pleased.

Not that I deal much with Tiger, memory express and bestDirect all the way! But this is way to shady for a large business like this.

Fungi
I am lost I can't even remember my name.

Old February 13, 2013, 12:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Tiger Direct has always been like this... never really liked them.
Old February 13, 2013, 04:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Isn't this illegal? false advertising or some such (when they change the price that it was actually at the day before)

I know in the UK there are places that do this (2 for 1 or 3 for 2 deals in some supermarket) but they have to change the prices 2 weeks before or suffer fines etc
Old February 13, 2013, 05:03 PM
Allstar

Didn't NCIX do this as well but not as extreme?
Old February 13, 2013, 08:00 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I don't know if its illegal in Canada, but walmart changed there policies after getting caught, that was a while ago though. Tiger and NCIX both lost my business and Newegg's crappy shipping time from industry CA has almost finished them for me, good thing for Memory express and their price match, it might take longer to track down cheap pricing but they always seem to authorise the PM and ship fast. Not that I build THAT many systems but I do a couple a month so they've lost out.
I am lost I can't even remember my name.

Old February 14, 2013, 04:51 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Everyone from Future Shop to Best Buy to Canadian Tire to Home Depot to the local corner store does this. This is not exclusively a TD problem...just ask The Brick.
Old February 14, 2013, 06:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm pretty sure it's against the law in Canada to raise prices solely for the purpose of making sale prices look better, but I suspect enforcement would only occur if a competitor complained and that a complaint by a consumer would be filed with a nod and a wink.......

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 14, 2013, 06:55 AM
Rookie

Having worked for NCIX I can honestly say that raising prices and discounting to show a sale price is not normal practice. Sometimes it may seem that way with how aggressively commodity products like DRAM and hard drives are priced compounded with rapidly changing costs and quick inventory turns but for everything else that is cost stable it doesn't / shouldn't happen. Having worked with Bestbuy a bit since starting at Corsair, they're extremely careful about how they advertise sales as well to avoid claims of fraudulent discounting.
Old February 14, 2013, 02:57 PM
Top Prospect

Omgggg Terren
Old February 14, 2013, 04:35 PM
Allstar

Ooooooooo a Corsair rep - Just when I'm RMAing some ram :)