Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 14, 2013, 05:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What I am more angry about is the price difference between the US and Canada even though both countries get their stuff from Asia.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old February 15, 2013, 12:01 PM
Allstar

That's because the stuff is usually shipped to US distributors first before beign sent to the Canadain distributor which adds an extra layer of pricing. Plus of course the "padding" that gets doen to "conpensate" for "exchange fluctuations".
Old February 15, 2013, 12:26 PM
Rookie

Bao - I see that you're as clever with your Internet nicknames as I am :)

In general when the Canadian guys are on equal footing as the US I would say that pricing here can be more aggressive than the US. There are large discrepancies with some vendors and categories (like CE) but for stuff like components it's very cutthroat up here. The cost of doing business up in Canada is arguably higher with scale of economy not kicking in as aggressively, low population density and underdeveloped logistics so its not easy.
Old February 15, 2013, 12:37 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terren View Post
Bao - I see that you're as clever with your Internet nicknames as I am :)

In general when the Canadian guys are on equal footing as the US I would say that pricing here can be more aggressive than the US. There are large discrepancies with some vendors and categories (like CE) but for stuff like components it's very cutthroat up here. The cost of doing business up in Canada is arguably higher with scale of economy not kicking in as aggressively, low population density and underdeveloped logistics so its not easy.
HAHA you know it. I ran out of ideas for a forum nickname.

I can back Terren up on that quote there too. When I was at OCZ, quite a few OCZ deals in Canada were on par and sometimes better than our friends south of the border. And from my time as a PM at a fairly popular PC components retailer... everyone's fighting their hardest to not make money it seems. That's how crazy it is at times in Canada for PC components.

For CE yes, our best deals in Canada are usually worse than regular pricing at USA Best Buys for the most part.
Old February 15, 2013, 01:13 PM
Rookie

There are always better options to choose from rather than Tiger Direct.
Old February 15, 2013, 02:36 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I normally just go to Shopbot.ca to see which site offers the cheapest parts, they usually are accurate with their pricing (since they're bots) and even sometimes they display on sale items. The last time I ordered at TD was pretty much 8 months ago just to get a set of tools and a power supply tester that was it. I do most of my purchases at DirectCanada.
Old March 22, 2013, 08:28 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Isn't this illegal? false advertising or some such (when they change the price that it was actually at the day before)

I know in the UK there are places that do this (2 for 1 or 3 for 2 deals in some supermarket) but they have to change the prices 2 weeks before or suffer fines etc
I don't think it is illegal. Everybody is doing this including best buy and walmart. But I don't like to be a customer for those stores.