Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 16, 2013, 06:36 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default seen this on reddit sorry if wrong section OSAP problems

http://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comme...ent_loan_info/

There is a very good chance that if you got a student loan between 2000 and 2006, outside of the places unaffected, that you are one of the 583,000 people who's info was on that hard drive. Especially considering no one in Quebec was affected.
step 1) 1-866-885-1866 << This number has been set up specifically to check if you were affected, and to answer any questions you have. It runs from 8am-8pm EST every day. Call it.
2) read this link and follow the instructions if you are on the list . contacting the credit bureau and your bank is super important, as identity thieves will try to open credit products in your name and the credit bureau can flag your account. Clearing up a ruined credit report is damn near impossible.
3) It might just be misplaced but why take the chance. I know some of you are joking about the not having to pay the loan back, but some of you sounded serious, so i figured I would post this as an fyi.
Old January 16, 2013, 06:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Looks like the fiancee and I are going to be calling them up tomorrow as we both started our loans in '05.

Leave it to the government to screw something like this up badly, sadly the person responsibility for this got a slap on the wrist
Old January 16, 2013, 07:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

ouch my student loan was in 2004 but the old bank account was deleted... no need to call... ;p

anyway thanks for this important information...
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old January 16, 2013, 07:57 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Saw this morning as well. Ended up closing the account I had with my loans just to err on the side of caution.
Old January 16, 2013, 08:24 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTA View Post
ouch my student loan was in 2004 but the old bank account was deleted... no need to call... ;p

anyway thanks for this important information...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker View Post
Saw this morning as well. Ended up closing the account I had with my loans just to err on the side of caution.
Wrong guys.

Its your Social Insurance Number they have lost too.

I was on the phone yesterday for over an hour before I hung up. I had loans for two of the affected years, and I know several people already who have gotten confirmation that their bank info, address, and SIN numbers have been lost.

Feds lose student loan data for 583,000 people - Canada - Canoe.ca

Quote:
The federal government has lost an external hard drive containing the personal information of more than half a million student loan borrowers.

The external hard drive, which contained data on 583,000 people who got student loans between 2000 and 2006, went missing from the the Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) office in Gatineau, Que.

The missing info includes names, birth dates, Social Insurance Numbers, addresses and student loan balances.

They knew about thins since Nov, and released this info Friday night (when this govt typically releases bad info).

There is a class-action lawsuit in the works in Newfoundland. Once I get confirmation (and EVERY single person who I know got loans during this period has been told their info is lost) I'll join them.
Fold for team #54196
Old January 16, 2013, 09:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Typical case of a GE (Good Enough) job done by our government/gov't employees which has lead to a CF of a situation for many people. Unfortunately I don't think that a class action lawsuit will do much in the long run. This crap is still going to happen again unless heads are brought to the axe.

**Mental image of Lord Stark executing the Night's Watch deserter in GoT** mmmm....

-btw I work in the public sector, so i'm bashing myself too i suppose.
Old January 17, 2013, 04:15 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
Typical case of a GE (Good Enough) job done by our government/gov't employees which has lead to a CF of a situation for many people. Unfortunately I don't think that a class action lawsuit will do much in the long run. This crap is still going to happen again unless heads are brought to the axe.

**Mental image of Lord Stark executing the Night's Watch deserter in GoT** mmmm....

-btw I work in the public sector, so i'm bashing myself too i suppose.
HRDC has had a lot of cutbacks over the past year. Makes you wonder if the cuts were done properly (but its hard to know...this could have happened anyways).

But if you get a staff thats poorly trained or have poor policies in place, with little accountability, stuff like this will happen. Throw cuts in there and it can get brutal.
Fold for team #54196
Old January 17, 2013, 05:01 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The question is: why the hell is that info being stored on an external PORTABLE drive instead of in a secure server?
Old January 17, 2013, 05:08 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The question is: why the hell is that info being stored on an external PORTABLE drive instead of in a secure server?
Exactally.
Something like that should have been deep within a network not so easily accessible. Unless the drive lost was a copy of the original.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 17, 2013, 05:12 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Or if it needed to be on an external drive (for whatever reason), why was it not encrypted?