Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 1, 2008, 05:18 AM
Allstar

Mark me down as another user that can't stand Vista. I had to run it for a few months to get used to it as one of the firms we do tech support for uses it. Speaking of which, they've had nothing but problems from day one. It's been a horrible choice for them and has cost them a ton of money in support from us. So much so that we had to give them a discount on our rates.

As for my own experience well it hasn't been pleasent either. Transfering large amounts of files is risky to say the least. Yesterday, I had to transfer about 3 gigs of user data to a brand new laptop with Vista and it froze the machine. I had to reboot and do it in smaller chunks. Not only is transfering unstable it takes a lot longer than it does on XP, and yes, that's with service pack 1 and all updates installed. For whatever reason it also takes ages for the recycle bin to empty out, once again if there is a large amount of data in there.

If you enjoy and use Vista that's great. But I don't see why some people have such a hard time understanding why some of us aren't thrilled about it and would rather stay with XP until we get the Vista that was promised (new filesystem etc.) or will wait until the next one comes out.
Old May 1, 2008, 09:48 AM
MVP
F@H

Oh well I hope all you xp guys enjoy your previous-gen graphics for years to come. The rest of the world is moving forward.
VIDEO: 3 x Visiontek HD3870
Old May 1, 2008, 10:39 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinister View Post
Oh well I hope all you xp guys enjoy your previous-gen graphics for years to come. The rest of the world is moving forward.
lol yup.. will do

Old May 1, 2008, 11:13 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinister View Post
I never purchased Vista until I bought my 8800GTS 640mb card as I wanted to "see the difference DX10 can make" and what I received in return was a pile of BS. An OS that couldn't run anything as has been pointed out why should hardware manufacturers make drivers for obsolete hardware when they can just make you buy new stuff because you're stupid enough to jump on the Vista bandwagon.
I did and paid the price for an entire year I ran Vista. BSoDs, driver incompatability, system services not working properly, M$ Windows Live having a compatability problem with its own makers OS...seriously now...that was the last straw for me.
So I reinstalled my copy of XP pro at the expense of DX10 then was perusing a much maligned site one day and found an open source slipstreamed copy of XP pro SP3 with DX10 that I have been running for 2 months now and am incredibly happy with.
I have had no problems overclocking, running FaH again :), running my gaming server, playing Oblivion (notoriously finicky game) Bioshock or Halo3. so until M$ can produce an OS that is NOT top heavy, NOT trying to be the evrything wonder OS, just a simple system resource friendly, driver friendly OS that runs well and leave the security to people that actually no what theyre doing...I would declare Vista an "ultimate" failure as more and more people are moving ahead by going backwards or around
Old May 1, 2008, 12:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I wish I could comment on my experience but like most I have stayed as far away as possible from Vista, I know little about the OS but like most software we buy today it suffers from the same phenomenon that has plagued this industry for years, "Buy Now Patch later". Its a shame microsoft didn't follow suit as they did with XP, no OS is completely without problems but at its core I have never had any installation issues with XP and it seemingly always work regardless of how badly I screw it up. I bought XP the day it come out and sure enough ran into some minor problems with software compatibility but within a weeks time I was up and running like nothing had change at all, except my desktop looked much better.

I believe vista needs time to work out its kinks and the migration is going to take longer this time around for the business and the end user, eventually I will moved to Vista or Windows 7 but for now I don't see the advantages with all thats been said. I agree with Vinister to some degree with the need to change and evolve with new software but what I don't agree with is messing with something that works, my rule of thumb when it comes to software is that new it isn't always better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinister

Not as fast as you think and I will enjoy my previous generation graphics with pleasure.
Old May 1, 2008, 01:24 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Hate to tell you vinister but PC gamers are a SMALL portion of the OS marketplace. MS thought that they could shove the DRM crapware down our throats by making DX10 "Vista Only". Unfortuntaly, they forgot to realize that for the cost of Vista Ultimate a gamer could go by a Wii....which most gamers did (excluding hardcore bleeding edgers). What is sinking VISTA is not home users not switching its the fact that Big Business is taking a pass on it. THAT is where the $$$ is and no Big Business accountant will sign off on dual (or quads) w/ 4GB of RAM so that the proles can have the same experience as they did with their Single Core Celrons w/512MB ram. There is a very good reason Vista unofficial tag line is "Windows XP: Turtle Edition" ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 1, 2008, 02:11 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yeah, pretty much every big company has all XP PCs. It is waaay too much hassle and expense to upgrade everything to Vista when XP works perfectly fine.
Old May 1, 2008, 05:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yes cause DX10 is such a great thing!

Hardly.
Old May 1, 2008, 06:06 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Hate to tell you vinister but PC gamers are a SMALL portion of the OS marketplace. MS thought that they could shove the DRM crapware down our throats by making DX10 "Vista Only". Unfortuntaly, they forgot to realize that for the cost of Vista Ultimate a gamer could go by a Wii....which most gamers did (excluding hardcore bleeding edgers). What is sinking VISTA is not home users not switching its the fact that Big Business is taking a pass on it. THAT is where the $$$ is and no Big Business accountant will sign off on dual (or quads) w/ 4GB of RAM so that the proles can have the same experience as they did with their Single Core Celrons w/512MB ram. There is a very good reason Vista unofficial tag line is "Windows XP: Turtle Edition" ;)
bingo. my company just bought 2 vista machines to test out. nothing but compatibility problems. our it guys are spending a disproportionate amount of time servicing these two machines and i feel sorry the two guys that got stuck with them. their productivity just went down the toilet.
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old May 1, 2008, 09:12 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
#1 beef I have with Vista... the interface .. I don't like it.
Really? I like it. Only thing is changing colours isn't that great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitaldemon View Post
is vista worth it.. no... get a mac instead. it runs better and has just as pretty graphics.
I won't comment on that.