Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 27, 2012, 05:49 AM
Top Prospect

Default Intel to end the Desktop?

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I was creeping around steam forums and stumbled on this:

Intel

Leaked Intel roadmap shows the end of socketed CPUs – the end of upgradable PCs? | ExtremeTech

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/11/26/i...cs-go-with-it/

I haven't had the time to really read through, and wrap my head around the technical aspects but maybe someone can elaborate the implications of this? Is this just panic journalism or is it simply the natural evolution of home PCs?
Old November 27, 2012, 06:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well duh, once the singularity hits we will all have nano/genetic/robotic technology integrated with our bodies.

;)
Old November 27, 2012, 06:53 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 View Post
Well duh, once the singularity hits we will all have nano/genetic/robotic technology integrated with our bodies.

;)
I wonder if that will help with male enhancement.
Old November 27, 2012, 07:28 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

This seems fairly inevitable to me. Desktop sales are representing less and less of the overall pie every year and the people who upgrade are a small piece of that already small piece, so for Intel this is basically becoming a rounding error and therefore why would they cater to what will be in their eyes a completely insignificant market segment?

Old November 27, 2012, 07:47 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverBender View Post
This seems fairly inevitable to me. Desktop sales are representing less and less of the overall pie every year and the people who upgrade are a small piece of that already small piece, so for Intel this is basically becoming a rounding error and therefore why would they cater to what will be in their eyes a completely insignificant market segment?
To keep AMD from having it?
Old November 27, 2012, 07:51 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Old November 27, 2012, 09:02 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Ridiculous set of assumptions by various sites. This isn't doom and gloom at all.

What I am seeing is a departure from the typical Tick / Tock mentality. It now looks like the "Tock" (ie: moving to a new architecture, in this case Broadwell) will be focused upon BGA packaging in order to optimize Intel's offerings in the mobile space / SFF space. Meanwhile, the "Tock 1/2" will likely be Broadwell cascading upwards into LGA packaging around the time of Skylake.

The ONLY way to be totally sure of Intel's next steps is to see a roadmap that also includes Skylake and Skymont.

Intel may also be going back to a dual roadmap mentality. It seems may seem to forget that back in the Dothan / Prescott days, Intel was moving along parallel courses with P6 and Netburst.
Old November 27, 2012, 03:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

A lot of sites have posted a similar topic. I doubt they are going to completely drop lga all of a sudden, but realistically this is still a couple years away anyway before it is introduced. Not much point in drowning on possibilities a few years from now without any hard facts.
Old November 27, 2012, 03:47 PM
Allstar

I'm sure they're about to piss of the enterprise market with hundreds of millions of desktops in use and bought every year. It's not the consumer market that drives these companies it's business users.
Old November 27, 2012, 04:01 PM
Allstar

Windows conspiracy to cloud every users and this ........... Intel and Microsoft are biting the hands of peoples who feed them. This will be a hell if we need to RMA the motherboard. What if the users damage the board ?, it will cost us a CPU too.