Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 29, 2012, 02:44 AM
Banned

As i was initialy going to react to this as another way to pull in the intel "loyalists" to fork over more $ to them when they want to upgrade to a newer cpu (though haswell's move to socket 1150 just proves my point further) ... IF they are going to do it that they develop a solution for the "general" populus & a seperate for the "elitist-enthusiast" populous then it makes sence.

MOST general users could care less if the cpu is bound to the board or not as long as it does what they want it to (pc chips sold MANY boards like this cause of the lower cost & basic funtionality while not the best preforming parts on it) .... that said, this could then make unbounded upgradable solutions more "premium" in costs vs the fully intergrated to board solution. Ex broadwell general consumer board with decent cpu onboard $150 .... "premium" broadwell board $150-2xx + broadwell cpu $1xx-$3xx

My guess the broadwell bga solutions would be like i3's with high clocks on it & then if you wanted more core's/threads you'd have to buy the "premium" selection of products.
Old November 29, 2012, 08:14 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I Don't belive they will ever stop makeing it where enthusiasts can't build there own PC even tho it is just a drop in the bucket for them.But that drop add up to in the millions so somebody going to want that kind of money.I do imagine as for as OEM sellers they will like it if it reduces the price.Plus as it has done been said most people that buy a PC's could care less how the CPU is attached to the motheerboard.It could make it higher if you wanted to buy a motherboard and had to choose which CPU you wanted on it.I believe there will always be a market for the enthusiasts ,maybe just a different way of buying the product.
Intel-i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16g G.Skill 1666DDR3+256g Crucial-SSD+1-3TB Seagate+2-1TB-Samsung+1-640g- WesternDigtal+SLI-ASUS DIRECT CU II GTX-670+LG-12x Blurner+Logtech G9x-mouse+G-110-keyboard+Driving Force GT Wheel+Pioneer VSX-1020K+Polk Audio Speakers+LG-50"Plasma PM6700+Antec-P280+XFX 850w PRO Semi-Modular
Old November 30, 2012, 02:13 AM
Top Prospect

You know what, I got to be honest even though I hadn't read the articles beforehand I was pretty much freaking out. Now that I had the chance to really digest it..

Just because they're developing BGAs does not mean they're going to suddenly drop LGA. Why would they go LGA to BGA and then back to LGA if they were planning to fully drop removable sockets? Intel is probably just testing the waters, they see hints of a new trend for consumers, and they want to stick their hand out first to grab what ever slice of that freshly baked pie they can. Not to mention unloading a huge burden from themselves on to motherboard vendors. Clever move.
Old December 3, 2012, 07:41 PM
Rookie

definitely gonna kill a big segment of their market if the go through with this
Old January 14, 2013, 06:02 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

So now the Computer Age is dumbing down. Dumbness is winning. Better get the Mao Posters dusted off.
Old January 14, 2013, 09:59 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithering View Post
.... Better get the Mao Posters dusted off.

target practice ?