Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 27, 2012, 04:08 PM
Allstar

A bit different from what I read from PCPER. Basically, Broadwell will be soldered into the board but LGA socket will still be around.

Quote:
The product after Broadwell will also be introduced as a LGA part. Undoubtedly this part will also be offered as a BGA unit as well, but it will still be offered as a LGA product as well.
Intel's Broadwell Goes BGA Only: Implications for Future Desktops | PC Perspective
Old November 27, 2012, 05:05 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
I'm sure they're about to piss of the enterprise market with hundreds of millions of desktops in use and bought every year. It's not the consumer market that drives these companies it's business users.
Why would it piss off the enterprise market? Any of the Fortune 500 companies I deal with almost never upgrade CPU's. They purchase a standard desktop or laptop, create an image for that and roll it out. These are usually small form factor machines. Then when it has reached the end of its life cycle they get the next generation and go through the whoe process again. The only thing they will generally upgrade in between is memory... hard drives are also being replaced with SSDs these days but processors are only changed when defective and that is one of the rarest things to break down in a pc.

Old November 27, 2012, 06:14 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
I'm sure they're about to piss of the enterprise market with hundreds of millions of desktops in use and bought every year. It's not the consumer market that drives these companies it's business users.
business PC cycles are ENORMOUSLY long. I'd be surprised if very many companies invest in the same socket twice.
Old November 27, 2012, 06:34 PM
Allstar

In my opinion, this only hurts hobbyist consumers because you can't play with your PC guts as much as you like. Given Intel's Tick Tock cycle, you get marginal improvement within a single socket cycle. You would have to upgrade the socket when the Tock rolls around anyway. I can see this really hurt motherboard producers if Intel completely goes soldered on CPU. The combination matrix of CPU & board feature is huge right now because we can freely mix and match. With a complete BGA approach, Intel would be hurt as well. There's no way in hell motherboard manufacturers will make that many boards if they end up soldering on the CPU. Can Intel continue to bin crappier CPU as low end model with a complete BGA approach?
Old November 27, 2012, 07:55 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Oh dang! Just when I decide to get started in this DIY PC building thing they announce the end of the road for enthusiast built systems? Well sort of.

As this novice reads the news it sounds like Intel in particular wants to sell Mboard with CPU hardwired as a unit. Given that I paid an extra $15 for the vendor to install the CPU to the board I bought I didn't even do that part of the game anyway. I suppose it does mean that if in 3 or 4 years time, IF another CPU comes along that fits my current motherboard, I will be able to buy a new CPU and replace the one I have now. BUT as I hear tell in 3 or 4 years I'll probably also want a new motherboard anyway,

AND besides, I've gone AMD for the last decade or so, so as long as that company can stay solvent I'll have that option.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old November 27, 2012, 09:06 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

this sounds ridiculous, there is enough enthusiasts paying top dollar for high end chips maybe the general public is moving away from desktops but there are plenty of gamers / folders out there looking for hardware
Old November 27, 2012, 09:54 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

/sigh. This is just fear mongering for page clicks. Someone got their hands on a incomplete projected road map for 4Qs from now (original wasn't even in ENGLISH for god sake). Intel's power point rangers ALWAYS narrow the scope down to pertinent facts for a product that is being reviewed/previewed/sold. Thats it. No need for this 'sky is falling' manufactured rage by some sites.

In all likelihood BGA and LGA products are being forked next year. One is for Enterprise consumers and the other for home users. Makes sense to develop them separately rather than as an all in one idea...that way each comes out of different departments "budgets". ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 27, 2012, 10:16 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiwizard View Post
there is enough enthusiasts paying top dollar for high end chips maybe the general public is moving away from desktops but there are plenty of gamers / folders out there looking for hardware
I would disagree with that. The enthusiast market represents a drop in the bucket for Intel. It is sort of like the way a lot of auto manufacturers use Formula One to promote their high-end products but their bread and butter is in the products they sell the most of.

Old November 28, 2012, 07:26 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I sure hope enthusiast PC components will not become the F1 of computing otherwise we`d best be getting some big name sponsors for our rigs to help defray the costs. :)

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old November 28, 2012, 05:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

K = $

whos going to test all these toys fore them ??