Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18, 2012, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Let's put it this way: if Intel keeps up the incremental updates (5-7% increase from one generation to the next), then Intel may be playing catch up mid way through the next cycle.

The move from Bulldozer -> Piledriver is supposed to give an bump of some 10-15% according to AMD's publicly available slides. We'll see whether or not that will happen. Two more refreshes of that and Intel / AMD will be tied. All AMD has to do is fix their single thread performance and get 22nm out of the door.

The one ace up Intel's sleeve that AMD doesn't (and won't) have is Hyperthreading which essentially allows Intel to do more with less cores and lower power consumption.
Great points. Now that there fabless & have a design that will allow them to get the cpu's done anywhere I think they will ramp down to lower nm's quicker and as you sugest be more "leaps" then "baby steps" as intel seems to have for ages now.

Furthermore though, that "ace up intel's sleeve" could be a hinder if programing keeps going on a "core" basis .... unless haswell has some hidden true core's/streams up there sleeve ...
Old October 18, 2012, 10:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
Great points. Now that there fabless & have a design that will allow them to get the cpu's done anywhere I think they will ramp down to lower nm's quicker and as you sugest be more "leaps" then "baby steps" as intel seems to have for ages now.

Furthermore though, that "ace up intel's sleeve" could be a hinder if programing keeps going on a "core" basis .... unless haswell has some hidden true core's/streams up there sleeve ...
I think Intel could bump up the amount of cores they have though pretty much whenever they want, the thing is that AMD has kind of filled that market niche and people using apps that take up a lot of threads or a lot of small applications that take up a single thread are with AMD now at that lower price point. I think because of that intel will stick to less cores with more performance per core until they have to bump it up. As of now intel isn't in a rush to do anything they don't have to do so if they can beat 8 core AMD processors with 6c/12t or even 4c/8t like they do in most apps now they will continue to go that route.
Old October 19, 2012, 10:16 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
As a programmer....what on Earth are you talking about?

EDIT:

all the use-cases that can make use of many threads already DO use many threads. think video encoding.
Old October 20, 2012, 10:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

He is probably meaning that programs do not take advantage of the "module" thing, the programs should work on threads and not just the physical core, as per se.