Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 1, 2012, 04:03 PM
Rookie

Default 21:9 Monitors

It appears everyone is jumping on the 21:9 aspect ratio monitors. LG, Dell and Philips all have them or are slated for release. It looks interesting and would make for a very nice surround setup. It also seem slike a nice solution for those who currently have two monitors, as you are able to slip the screen.

Philips 298X4QJAB UltraWide 21:9 monitor review

LG's EA93 29-inch display features 21:9 aspect ratio, we take a look at IFA (video) -- Engadget

Toshiba even has 21:9 laptops!

Toshiba Satellite U845W and U845 review | The Verge

This looks like it will be an awesome addition to any gamers ensemble, or people like me who edit and multitask heavily. Allowing for a longer timeline in a video editor or even a larger slate for photo editing applications and spreadsheets. I'm excited!
Old October 1, 2012, 04:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

Personally These would be far to wide and give people headaches as a lot of this monitor would be viewed by your peripheral vision.
Old October 1, 2012, 04:26 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Personally These would be far to wide and give people headaches as a lot of this monitor would be viewed by your peripheral vision.
I feel like it would be an acquired taste, I know I adapted to dual monitors and then triple monitors. I think they are truly for the multi-tasker or someone who needs the real estate. But I think playing games at that resolution would be very awesome too, allowing you to be more focused because it does occupy your peripheral vision and the majority of what you see. I guess someone will just have to buy one and test it for us!
Old October 1, 2012, 04:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

doesnt appeal to me at all. at the moment i use a 3 monitor setup but i've never run a program over all 3 or even over 2. My future 27inch will do me quite fine I think
Old October 1, 2012, 04:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagerBeaver View Post
I feel like it would be an acquired taste, I know I adapted to dual monitors and then triple monitors. I think they are truly for the multi-tasker or someone who needs the real estate. But I think playing games at that resolution would be very awesome too, allowing you to be more focused because it does occupy your peripheral vision and the majority of what you see. I guess someone will just have to buy one and test it for us!
I use dual monitors myself but the bezels help break up the long screen in between where this monitor does not.
Old October 1, 2012, 04:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Interesting. I don't think its for me (atleast for some time), however, there will definitely be people who jump at it. I would say no thanks to a laptop based on it.
Old October 1, 2012, 05:31 PM
Rookie

I have an eyefinity setup and am switching to a single 30", but then I stumbled across this. I'm either getting a 30" monitor or this one, I have not decided which yet. As far as the laptop is concerned, I'm not a fan of it being integrated into laptops haha.
Old October 1, 2012, 05:51 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Actually, I can see this being useful for business. It's not uncommon for me to find myself reading one or two documents for comparison sake, or reading a spreadsheet while typing in a document.

For those with limited desktop space, two monitors can be problematic, while this provides a compromise which is more likely to fit.

Similar argument can be made for laptops. Even the best laptops don't exceed 1920x1080 (with the exception of the Macbook Pro's Retina display, and even that is meant for improved sharpness rather than more content), and that's really not enough width to run two documents side by side, never mind a spreadsheet.
Old October 1, 2012, 05:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think this is probably the best aspect ratio for gaming, providing the games POV makes use of it properly.

EDIT: Actually it's not that much bigger... if it was the width of two monitors side by side then it would be ideal from my POV.

Last edited by Perineum; October 1, 2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old October 1, 2012, 06:06 PM
Rookie

Say what you want, but I think a lot of these will be popping up as an addition to gamer's rigs and most definitely businesses. I want to see some eyefinity with these, it would be ridiculous, imagine what it could look like in portrait mode! I'm definitely the only one excited hahah.